• Create Account

what to start with?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 igna92ts   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

My goal for now would be to make a 2d game and I got the stupid idead that starting with directx would be better.(I am still learning c++ programming)
So i was wondering which engine or api was better for a begginer (and with this I mean which is easier to use)
I f possible I would like to learn something that will help me undestand more difficult concepts later on. Also I would like to know from these engines and APIs which offers the most possibilities (becuase I don't know which time of game I want to make yet so I need something with what you can do most things)

Sponsor:

#2 AdrianC   Members   -  Reputation: 602

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

SFML is great. You should be able to create anything you can think of with it.

#3 Goran Milovanovic   Members   -  Reputation: 1104

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

You could give the Blender Game Engine a try. I have a series of video tutorials that might help you out: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/625003-video-tutorials-blender-game-engine/

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials  ->   http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

#4 shadowgamesco   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

I would definitely recommend learning Python using the library Pygame for making 2D games. It's a great place to start and really easy to learn with how much documentation there is lying around. Pygame.org is loaded with documentation!

#5 boogyman19946   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

0Likes

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

If you decide to stick with C++, SFML is a great library to go with. It's so simple to use it's almost silly, and it seems to integrate with OpenGL fairly seamlessly so if you wanted to learn it some time in the future you could just build on top of it. I don't have much experience with either OGL or DX so I can't comment in detail on the compatibility of either.

As you have no doubt figured out by now, the key to learning programming is similar to the theory of evolution in biology. You start off simple and eventually evolve your skills to a greater array of complexity. With every evolutionary cycle you add on a new feature and build up your tool set.

That being said, if you are still learning a language, it is not a bad time to switch to an easier one. Switching to an easier language, like C# for example, is very beneficial in early stages of learning because the language limits the amount of choices you have to make and makes a lot of semantic decision for you so that you have less things to worry about. It's not only a brilliant approach to learning, but programming as well. The more hassle you remove from your work the better off you are in not making mistakes. You also limit your choices in API. The sound of that may strike a nerve in the more liberal folks ( :D ), but that's actually a good thing. Besides, C#'s libraries are very powerful, certainly powerful enough to make an excellent game with.
"If highly skilled generalists are rare, though, then highly skilled innovators are priceless." - ApochPiQ

My personal links :)
- Khan Academy - For all your math needs
- Java API Documentation - For all your Java info needs :D
- C++ Standard Library Reference - For some of your C++ needs ^.^

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS