How should you prepare your resume as a Game Developer

Started by
2 comments, last by CJResume 11 years, 7 months ago

thanks to all...

Advertisement
1 - Name your resume something different than untitleddocument (1).doc.
1a - Preferably begin by writing your name in the filename. HRs get a lot of Resumes, and if all of them are named "resumes" they'll simply overwrite one another. Having your name both means the HR knows whose resume this is, and ensures it is not accidentally deleted.
2 - Your resume states experiences, but not dates. I see you've worked at a few places, but I don't get to see how long, nor what projects you've contributed to at these places.
3 - I'm surprised that your first name is just "M". Most HRs around here would want to refer to you by your first name alone, so it "could" be a problem.

4 - I would compartiment data. For example, having a header which includes ways to contact you (including a linkedin entry, phone number, etc) might be a good idea. You have your email and website portfolio up there, but I'd put more info. Some HRs/Recruiters are more familiar or prefer certain approaches (and linkedin offers a way for them to uncover references from other professionnals without asking for them: this can be a big plus, trust me!).

Otherwise, aside from reorganizing some of the info, it looks good.
Generally you use reverse chronological order.

As written you have a huge objective statement rather than a single sentence that helps HR put your paper in the right pile.

Then you have your education, which implies you are a recent grad because you didn't list your employers.

Then you list several pages of personal projects (probably too many), indicating that you are a tinkerer, but each one of those is sparse on details. The link to each one is a good thing, but the lack of details is frustrating (perhaps in a good way.)

Then you list your employers, which seems very bizarre for someone with experience; reverse chronological means professional employment is before education.

Then you list a "skills" section which is generally a useless block. Stating that you know Wordpress when you said you wrote Wordpress plugins, or stating that you know "Microsoft Visual Studio" or "Adobe Flash" doesn't help HR or employers very much, especially since you demonstrated that elsewhere.

You absolutely need some dates, at least the years, so I can figure out how much experience you actually have.

Based only on that document I have no idea to place you as a recent college student who tinkers a lot and changes interests rapidly, or to place you as a professional who worked on many tiny different projects, or to place you somewhere in between. That makes it difficult to know if you are actually a good fit for any particular job.
Took a look at your resume and I see some areas where you could improve:

1. The objective is too long, the trend is to take out the objective and put the title of the position you are applying to. Changing it each time you submit your resume

2. Especially on Software resumes - you should put your technical skills at the top - it grabs the attention of the person who may be looking for your specific language etc. right away and draws them to read more about you.

3. Dates for the positions should be there for each top - starting with your current and working down.

4. You should keep your resume all in one color - black - except for the links to the website and your email address.

5. Have you Professional experience closer to the top - then put your other experience lower.

Overall, looks like you have all the right information there, just would need some organizing and layout changes.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Need help with your resume? www.EasyWayResume.com

I have been a hiring manager and recruiter in the IT industry for over 15 years. We know what hiring managers and recruiters look for in a resume!
- Clear, Concise and Professional resumes provided that get the right attention - at the fraction of the cost of our competitors.
- We also provide cover letters, LinkedIn profiles and thank you notes.
- Easy to follow online process

www.EasyWayResume.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement