• Create Account

Any idea if AMD Radeon 7xxx cards will support OpenGL 4.3?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cromulent   Members   -  Reputation: 353

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Currently I have an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB card which supports OpenGL 4.2 but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if AMD will update the drivers for the card to support OpenGL 4.3 or will I need to wait for the next set of hardware to be released?

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7821

1Likes

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Haven't heard anything myself, but from my reading of the GL4.3 spec I see no reason why not, as much of 4.3 doesn't really require a hardware revision (the new compressed texture formats may but most everything else should be able to work on even GL3.x hardware).

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 Muftobration   Members   -  Reputation: 106

1Likes

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yes, hardware support goes by major version. OpenGL 4.2 hardware will support all OpenGL 4.x.

#4 Cromulent   Members   -  Reputation: 353

0Likes

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yes, hardware support goes by major version. OpenGL 4.2 hardware will support all OpenGL 4.x.

Ah. Thank you. That makes sense.

#5 Kurt Hudson   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

In august right after 4.3 release AMD said they will issue 4.3 extensions in upcoming releases until they finally form opengl 4.3. For Catalyst 12.11 beta 4 (23/10/2012) there is still none of 4.3 exts

#6 larspensjo   Members   -  Reputation: 1526

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Generally true, except for Intel and Apple?
Current project: Ephenation.
Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

#7 Kurt Hudson   Members   -  Reputation: 109

1Likes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Generally true, except for Intel and Apple?

It is about versioning convention in opengl not about implementations. Opengl hardware requirements grows only when major version increases. In another words, if hardware does support any version of opengl 4.X it's capable to support any other 4.Y

BTW Intel supports opengl4 under winows for some of their 3D accelerators and rumors are, Apple is working on OpenGL 4 drivers

Edited by Kurt Hudson, 27 November 2012 - 05:02 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS