• Create Account

Preparing the portfolio - any way you want?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Tigro   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I've read various sources and from what I see, most of the pros tend to say "at first, don't try to be perfect but rather to develop something from start to end" as most people won't be interested in your sheer ideas but rather what you actually accomplished. That said, I decided to do something about it. However, I have a little bit of a problem here: I'd like to develop mobile games. Make my living of it, preferably. However, for a college freshman which I am, there's a big wall here. While I suppose I'd manage to pay the $150 for student's license for Corona SDK or similar and the $25 entry fee to Google Play (I don't have a Mac and Gamesalad which allows you to develop for iOS under Windows is way beyond what I could afford), in my country you also have to pay $130 a month to legally distribute via Play/AppStore and if you don't, you have to take out your app (or make it free). For now, then, I can't make myself pay such money and risk either getting it back in a month or getting broke (/takign loans to pay another $130). So I decided to make a portfolio showing what I've done to have something to show to potential investors/employers. But here goes the question:

What should I develop? I mean - I want to go mobile, sure. But should I develop one of my ideas in, say, Corona right from the beginning and then show it on my portfolio? I won't be able to show the product as is since I don't have the license so would anybody be interested in me developing a game which he can't play? Or should I develop for PC - in Flash, maybe? Do something in Flixel and try to monetize it on FGL or at least brand it with some site to gather up some money? What platform should I start from to establish some kind of recognition for myself as well as money, which would allow me to swiftly go mobile then?

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS