• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Weird Bug I found: Randomly crash your activity, for some reason, activity restarts itself == Instant 60FPS.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

I seriously don't know why or how it works. I was testing my app, checking for performance bottlenecks and benchmarking the time it takes to finish some intensive calculations, when all of a sudden this bug occurs. And it happens very often. The bug itself is also persistent (shutting down the app, killing the app with 3rd party task killer, turning off/on the cellphone screen), until you re-launch the debug module from Eclipse. I did not test for turning on/off the cellphone.

After re-launching, it slows down to nearly 15FPS. And then crash unexpectedly.

There's no Logcat logs or errors or anything out of the ordinary. The crash, in all its glory, never got logged by Logcat at any point.

So, my app relaunches from Eclipse, played around at 15FPS, crashed, the app itself restarts, with no interferences or manually execute it from the Application List. Nothing. It automatically restarts. After that, I played it again, BAM! 60FPS, no lag, no jitteriness, no stutter, just smooth animations, smooth frame rates, everything like CounterStrike running at 99FPS.

And it persists through the entire time, until I re-launch and the "vicious cycle" continues.

I tried placing breakpoints, tried Logcatting everywhere. I don't find anything. No clue, no leads, I'm out of my mind. I use an HTC Evo3D. Anyone else have this problem? I must be paranoid, but I have to share my findings to all of you out there.

TL;DR: Managed to obtain 60FPS forever after an unexpected silent crash while debugging my app at 15FPS.

Edited by tom_mai78101, 06 September 2012 - 01:41 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

I added a few things here and there, and now I'm getting something.

[source lang="plain"]libc Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000064 (code=1) libc Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000060 (code=1) [/source]
Seems like it's a segmentation fault. I might be accessing something that shouldn't be accessed in that time frame.At least I'm getting somewhere.

#3 rockseller   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

It seems like the CACHE gets full.

Call webview.clearCache(); and webView2.destroyDrawingCache() now and then.

#4 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Although it's a SurfaceView, not a WebView, I don't see the need to call on destroyDrawingCache(). I never manually call on buildDrawingCache().

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS