• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

2d platformer openGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 vicsana   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi, I am a complete newbie when it comes to openGL. My class started 2 weeks ago and our first assignment is already due. The assignment states - create a 2d platform game using openGL and c++ (no SDL). The platforms could be just a bunch of rectangles but the world should be big enough so that scrolling would be possible in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The player should be just a circle that is controlled with the arrow keys and we should be using naive world physics. As simple as this sounds I have spent two days rereading the chapters in the book that we have covered so far and googling and I still have no idea how to approach this. Any link to tutorials or code would be highly appreciated!

Sponsor:

#2 Xirion   Members   -  Reputation: 262

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

You can check in www.lazyfoo.net there are a lot of OpenGL tutorials.

Hope it helps.

#3 Goran Milovanovic   Members   -  Reputation: 1104

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

No SDL? I suspect you meant to say that you're not allowed to use SDL drawing methods.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials  ->   http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano |

#4 powly k   Members   -  Reputation: 653

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

I, on the other hand, suspect that it teaches one more of windows programming to create the device with winapi. It isn't too hard, either.

#5 Goran Milovanovic   Members   -  Reputation: 1104

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

I, on the other hand, suspect that it teaches one more of windows programming to create the device with winapi. It isn't too hard, either.

I don't think there's any value in teaching students how to lock their application to a single platform.

| Game Dev video tutorials  ->   http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano |

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS