• Create Account

New graphics card slower than old one

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#1 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

I bought new graphics card few months back because the old one was just outdated for modern games. But I've noticed it "loads" data to the card much slower than the old one. For example in GTA4 when loading game world it lags alot until the surroundings have been loaded, this didn't happen on the old card I was using.
Now that makes playing game called Morrowind impossible as it loads 1-5 minutes when changing areas or accessing inventory/etc. (my favorite game, old but good Posted Image )

Motherboard: P7P55D
PSU: Cooler Master 700W Silent Pro
CPU: i7 860
New GPU: Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti 1 GB

Old GPU: ATI Radeon 4870 HD

I have uninstalled all ATI drivers and applications before I installed new GPU. Cleaned registry also

I tried searching google but I'm not sure what I should look for..
Anyone know what's causing this?

Edited by NukeCorr, 07 September 2012 - 09:54 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

Sponsor:

#2 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2683

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Your mobo has 2 PCI express slots, are you sure you've plugged in your card in the x16 slot and not in the x4 slot?
You should also check whether your power supply can keep up with your system's power demands.

Software Engineer - Skybox Labs

#3 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes it is in the PCI-E x16 slot.
I need hardware for checking power supply watt usage, there is no software for it I assume?

The card is only slower when loading data to it but FPS is way better than in the old card

Edited by NukeCorr, 07 September 2012 - 10:35 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

#4 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2683

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yes it is in the PCI-E x16 slot.
I need hardware for checking power supply watt usage, there is no software for it I assume?

The card is only slower when loading data to it but FPS is way better than in the old card

As far as I know there's no software available to test a PSU, no
However when a PSU can't keep up with your power consumption your machine will propably show some strange behaviour, so if everything else is running fine this probably isn't the problem

What are your GPU temperatures like and how is the airflow in your machine's case? Do you clean it out regularly? Bad ventilation can cause quite some slowdowns.

Of course your card could also just be defective, but let's hope that's not the case

Software Engineer - Skybox Labs

#5 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

As far as I know there's no software available to test a PSU, no
However when a PSU can't keep up with your power consumption your machine will propably show some strange behaviour, so if everything else is running fine this probably isn't the problem

What are your GPU temperatures like and how is the airflow in your machine's case? Do you clean it out regularly? Bad ventilation can cause quite some slowdowns.

Of course your card could also just be defective, but let's hope that's not the case

Everything else is fine, no BSODs, crashing or anything else.

I've cleaned the dust off CPU, PSU and GPU reguraly, the side of the case is open all the time so I don't think airflow is a problem. I'll check the temperatures next time I play some game and post the results.

There's also a weird thing with the card, sometimes when quitting a game and starting it or another game the card's performance drops to minimal. for example if game was running with 60 fps, if it "bugs" next time the fps is 5-10. Only restarting PC fixes that problem and that happens very rarely

Edited by NukeCorr, 07 September 2012 - 10:48 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

#6 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

I played Battlefield 3 on Medium graphics.
CPU temperature was around 60-65 C and GPU temperature was around 60-62 C

My CPU needs cleaning and maybe new thermal paste, normally the temp is max 60

Edited by NukeCorr, 07 September 2012 - 11:30 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

#7 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 1987

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Um, so you installed the videocard drivers from the videocard's disk.
Did you update the motherboard's chipset drivers as well?

It's nigh, maybe I'm telling stupid things...

Edited by szecs, 07 September 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#8 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 8100

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ye gads! Please tell me nobody installs GPU drivers from the CD anymore...

Those CDs are pressed weeks or months before the GPU goes on sale in stores. The chance that they contain massive driver bugs that have been fixed in the intervening time, is pretty damn high.

Tristam MacDonald - SDE II @ Amazon - swiftcoding        [Need to sync your files via the cloud? | Need affordable web hosting?]

#9 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1712

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ye gads! Please tell me nobody installs GPU drivers from the CD anymore...

Those CDs are pressed weeks or months before the GPU goes on sale in stores. The chance that they contain massive driver bugs that have been fixed in the intervening time, is pretty damn high.

What's a CD?

#10 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

I updated the drivers off the official website and they are up to date. Motherboard drivers might need updating though, haven't done that in a while
What the h*ll are you?

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7025

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Please reinstall your operating system after making any major hardware changes. From my experience, any attempt at troubleshooting is usually a lost cause otherwise (and a fresh start is always nice). Also, you say you acquired the new card "months back" - have you been living with this issue that long, has it suddenly popped out of nowhere, or have you only recently installed your new graphics card?

To be fair, from the information given (especially the inventory bit), I'm not convinced this is a GPU transfer issue - your PCI-E bandwidth would have to be ludicrously crippled for you to feel any loading performance issues, pointing to either a motherboard glitch (quite unlikely, but why not since your drivers are not up to date) or a graphics card defect (unlikely, but not impossible).

If you want to be sure, you'll need to go through a complete system diagnostic, analyzing each component individually (there are CUDA-based tools out there to measure your CPU-GPU transfer performance, have you used them to confirm your doubts?)

"The best comment is a deleted comment."

#12 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Please reinstall your operating system after making any major hardware changes. From my experience, any attempt at troubleshooting is usually a lost cause otherwise (and a fresh start is always nice). Also, you say you acquired the new card "months back" - have you been living with this issue that long, has it suddenly popped out of nowhere, or have you only recently installed your new graphics card?

To be fair, from the information given (especially the inventory bit), I'm not convinced this is a GPU transfer issue - your PCI-E bandwidth would have to be ludicrously crippled for you to feel any loading performance issues, pointing to either a motherboard glitch (quite unlikely, but why not since your drivers are not up to date) or a graphics card defect (unlikely, but not impossible).

If you want to be sure, you'll need to go through a complete system diagnostic, analyzing each component individually (there are CUDA-based tools out there to measure your CPU-GPU transfer performance, have you used them to confirm your doubts?)

Yes this problem has been since I installed the new card (1-2 months ago). It didn't bother me much as it only lagged alot when it was loading stuff but doesn't affect the framerate at all when it has loaded everything necessary, but if there is any data loaded to the card it lags. Like my 3D app which I made for testing lags when loading data to the GPU, and any 3D game which uses videocard memory.

I haven't heard of the GPU-CPU testing tools but I'll look for that, thanks for the advice

EDIT: I updated motherboard drivers but it didn't help, still lags if games load new data to the card's memory

Edited by NukeCorr, 08 September 2012 - 10:12 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

#13 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Sorry for bringing up this old topic but I've made some progress with this matter..

Yesterday I noticed there were Nvidia updates available but my nvidia control panel didn't inform me automatically for some reason. So I patched the videocard drivers off the site and it worked *perfectly*, loading was smooth and fps was even better than normally.
...But after 4 or so hours the poor performance and fps drop came back. Today I noticed there was another nvidia patch which was released yesterday and I haven't downloaded that, so I installed that too and everything runs smooth again. Hoping it does last and not lose performance again.

Why did the patching fix the problem for a while but then it came back?
I can only imagine something is messing up driver files or something

Edited by NukeCorr, 11 October 2012 - 08:21 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

#14 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3331

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

That, or the patch was buggy so they rushed out a fixed version.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#15 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6358

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

My money is on NVIDIA playing around with their over-agressive power saving again. They seem to do that every year-and-a-bit or so, and there's always been trouble while things are shaking out (280 drivers, anyone?)

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#16 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Please reinstall your operating system after making any major hardware changes.

IMHO any one who recommends a full reinstall of the OS to fix an issue ( especially hardware ), has no clue what they are doing.
Only time that is really necessary is when the OS is so buggered up, it fails to load, or continually has critical OS related errors.

As far as the video card, you found the issue was bad drivers. The power supply that is recommended to use with that is 550w or greater.

Edited by Shippou, 11 October 2012 - 05:28 PM.

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More !  
[Click Here]

#17 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7025

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

IMHO any one who recommends a full reinstall of the OS to fix an issue ( especially hardware ), has no clue what they are doing.
Only time that is really necessary is when the OS is so buggered up, it fails to load, or continually has critical OS related errors.

Please reread my quote. I did not say "reinstall your OS if something goes wrong". I said "reinstall your OS after making any major hardware changes", this includes changing graphics cards, possibly processor, and new motherboard. There are two reasons: one, your old OS may have residual old driver parts, which, while not posing a problem most of the time, can get in your way when changing hardware (particularly when you switch ati -> nvidia and vice versa, in the past this has been a problem with Windows). Secondly, it gives you an opportunity to start fresh, which is always welcome, particularly with Windows (the newer versions are much better in this regard, but eventually you just get lots of things that just "creep in" your system, things like frameworks, one-time codecs, etc...)

Obviously, reinstalling the OS when you encounter a non-critical issue without changing any hardware is not very useful and won't do anything in general. I think everyone is aware of that :)

"The best comment is a deleted comment."

#18 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

+1
seriously

#19 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 1987

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Obviously, reinstalling the OS when you encounter a non-critical issue without changing any hardware is not very useful and won't do anything in general. I think everyone is aware of that Posted Image

Except for the IT in our company...

#20 NukeCorr   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

The card works now as it's supposed to work, so I guess the problem was with the bad drivers. But if the problem comes back I'll probably reinstall windows and if that doesn't help then I'll try the videocard on a different PC

EDIT: It bugged again, fps dropped like 30-40 from 70 and everything loads slow again. Time for formatting.. this is starting to get annoying..

EDIT2: Re-installed Windows.. everything went normal, updated all drivers to the latest versions. Now I'll see if the GPU works normally...

Edited by NukeCorr, 12 October 2012 - 06:36 AM.

What the h*ll are you?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS