• Create Account

Which database? Text adventure MUD

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Theis_Bane   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

I am developing a text adventure engine that I will eventually use as the basis for a MUD. The way I'm looking at it, the client will collect and parse player actions, and send the final parsed action to the server. The server will then place all client-parsed actions into a list and then iterate through each in the order they were received. For each action, the server will query the DB, work with that data, make changes as necessary, then return the results back to the client.

Well, that's the plan at least. I don't know yet how well this will work. BUT...the more important question is...what database to use and what to learn? (any other words of advice I'm will to take)

Sponsor:

#2 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3129

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

Perhaps what you want to do is very complex but a friend of mine wrote a MUD some time ago and I helped him here and there. There was no database at all, not in the sense of RDBMS. He just rolled his own set of file formats regarding world description and items.
Overall, I don't think data management has been an issue at all but we wrecked on gameplay elements.

#3 SimLabDevelopments   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

http://www.sqlite.org/

#4 Theis_Bane   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

http://www.sqlite.org/

I've been hearing this. I'll starting looking into this.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS