• Create Account

Starting From The Very Beginning

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoyDaniels   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm very new at this, I'm hoping to be able to create games, so I know I'll need to learn programming, but is there a specific language that's "beginner friendly" or easier to use than the others? As far as stuff like Unity3d and Unreal, is there a better choice for beginners to learn that will allow them to get closer to their dream?

Sponsor:

#2 SimLabDevelopments   Members   -  Reputation: 197

3Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Do you see that search box on the top of the screen? Click into it and type "best language beginner". There's your answer.

Seriously though, irrespective of language, perhaps the #1 skill for a developer is the ability to research and answer questions.

#3 JoyDaniels   Members   -  Reputation: 98

-2Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Do you see that search box on the top of the screen? Click into it and type "best language beginner". There's your answer.

Seriously though, irrespective of language, perhaps the #1 skill for a developer is the ability to research and answer questions.

If I wanted the "look it up" answer I would've just google'd it in the first place :P I was hoping for something more along the lines of "this one is helpful", "this one is a waste of time, don't bother with it", etc, etc

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5180

3Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Actually, that is exactly what he was suggesting you do. The question is asked, alot, on this site in this very forum. So much so I wrote this guide to answer it. Its a long read but will get you started.

#5 JoyDaniels   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanl you ^_^ your guide was pretty helpful, now I'm just trying to decide between Java and C# or if I should just try UDK and worry about learning their language

#6 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5180

2Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Either is a fine first language choice.

I would say C# has better support ( number of users) making games, so it would be easier to get support if you go with C#.

Again though,either is fine.

#7 JoyDaniels   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ok, would you say Unity 3d would be a smarter choice or Visual C#? Or is that really just preference?

Edited by JoyDaniels, 08 September 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#8 ifthen   Members   -  Reputation: 820

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Unity 3D is not a programming language, it is a game engine. You cannot compare apples and oranges.

XNA is a quite good game engine for C#.

The main difference is that with C# & XNA, you are programming. That means writing a lot of code to do something. With Unity 3D, you are scripting. That means you can focus on your goals instead of writing intermediate code.

The downside? You cannot tweak everything in Unity. So if you have an idea to develop, for example, a spaceship simulator, you fail horribly there due to engine not being prepared to that (large distances, many objects, etc.). However, if you want to do something mainstream (e.g. FPS), you will probably succeed.

What should you choose if you don't have any special requirements? If you want to make a game, not to bother with writing the stuff to glue it, pick Unity. If you want to be a real programmer, however, with all the experience it brings and all the time it consumes, you should pick C#.

#9 thedevsykes   Members   -  Reputation: 336

2Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well all depends as stated on what you want to achieve, Python I hear is pretty popular with beginniners with pygame.
http://www.python.org/
http://www.pygame.org/news.html

No idea on the concept you plan, but it could be a good start.

There is also Java, if you feel a little bit more brave at tackling programming. Using the LWJGL framework you can create games with it.

http://lwjgl.org/

and XNA and C# as stated above.

Honestly this question, and I've only been here if what a couple of weeks and i've seen this question asked all the time. There is no real right answer to this. So the best we can do is shoot links, end of the day is down to preference. I'm partial to C++ because I enjoy making my life harder than it needs to be, but thats my preference. Find a language, stick to it, and good things can come.
'Knowledge isn't key, but understanding...'

My qualifcations are not here to showcase, but for those I answer and ask, to get a better idea on my knowledge.

BCS Level 2 Certificate for IT Users (ECDL Part 2)
OCR Level 2 National Award in Business
Level 2 First Diploma in Media
Level 3 Diploma in Games Design and Development Extended
BSc Hons in Computer Games Programming (Current - 1st Year)

#10 Thaer89   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Ok, would you say Unity 3d would be a smarter choice or Visual C#? Or is that really just preference?

you should differentiate between Game Engine and Language
Visual C# is IDE to help you write C# code
Unity 3d is game Engine that help you to make game, which use C# for scripting (coding)
i perfer to learn Unity which easier to make game also you will learn C# when use unity

#11 timothyjlaird   Members   -  Reputation: 404

0Likes

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

The tools (programming language or engine) are better suited to some tasks than others...whether one is better than the other depends on the task. In the long run though I think you would be better off focusing a programming language that is not chained to an engine. It is a longer road, but at the end of it you will have developed marketable skills which are not just suited to writing code for games. C# with XNA is a good choice...the intellisense features make it easier to learn (VS2010 Express).

If you are going to make a game without using a pre-built engine I would pick something in 2D. At your age I tried to learn C++/OpenGL and I barely got anywhere because there are so many things you have to learn for 3D, all at once. The only advice I can offer is to pick a language (whether it is c#, Java, Python, or whatever) and learn in little steps. I would set out to make a simple game and finish it. Then re-evaluate what you want to focus on from there.

Good luck...

#12 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2960

0Likes

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi, Joy

The things I learned in the few weeks tackling C# as a newbie beginner are: Posted Image

1) The C# language is indeed clear and easy to learn, relatively speaking. Back in 1986 I took BASIC and COBAL in college and C# is much easier and funner than I remember those languages.

2) These honest people were right: There is a lot of reading and studying to do, but the benefits are immediate.

3) They are also correct that there are a lot of games, game making communities, and information to be had in C#, including here at game dev.

Here's my thread on C# Learning Resources which helped me much:
http://www.gamedev.n...60#entry4978660

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS