What is the guy called with all the money? boss?

Started by
50 comments, last by lTyl 11 years, 7 months ago
I want to be the guy that is the so called producer i think? and also boss?
i want to look for teams that have a maybe what is it called again.. prototype..

i have a lot of money now that i can invest.. i think i would be really good at this because i know a lot about games and game dev.

so ill just look for teams that need money to develop a game and their game looks promoising.

is it a producer or whats it called?

and when I do this?
Do they get a share of profits too or just the money they needed to make the game.. what is it they need money for anyway exactly?
because if its for their own salaries like paying rent and buying food then i dont thikn they should get a cut of profits the game make as well?

aand when i am the boss like this..
I get to make the final decisions about everything right?
So i can say for example.. remove that weapon from this game... and add this instead... kind of like creative director but not really..
because who ever is the designer on their team does all but i just come in a change details to my liking.

what kind of ranges do they need in money for this?
im not really talking about AA+ games that need millions but more like indy games... like i have seen kickstarter have projects where they need thousands of dollars.. except you dont really get anything for giving them that money except silly things like "we will name a boss monster whatever you want" lol.

how do i become this person?
Advertisement
Either investor/venture-capitalst, or CEO/managing-director.

If you're investing in an existing business, you're an investor/venture-capitalst.
If you're investing in your own business, you're a CEO/managing-director.

For the first one, you need to find a business that wants money, and negotiate a deal with them. You'll probably demand the ability to review their plans and milestones, the ability to pull out at any time (which in effect gives you some creative control - you can 'blackmail' them with your money) and a large return on your investment, such as shares in the company, a lump sum payment at a future date and/or royalties on the game.

For the second one, you hire people to work for you, and you make a game. Everything is your responsibility, you can run the company however you like.

what kind of ranges do they need in money for this?
im not really talking about AA+ games that need millions but more like indy games... like i have seen kickstarter have projects where they need thousands of dollars.. except you dont really get anything for giving them that money except silly things like "we will name a boss monster whatever you want" lol.

how do i become this person?

Each developer will cost you somewhere between 30.000 SEK(if you get amateurs without degrees) and 100.000 SEK per month in salaries and taxes/employer fees. a very small indie game could be done in say, 2-3 months with 2-3 people working full time.

add in software licenses, contract work and basic marketing and a reasonable budget for a very small game would land around 300.000 SEK (~ $45.000).

Kickstarter projects can get away with less money since the project leaders on those things are working really hard virtually for free.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I would add that your attitude might make it extremely difficult to get anybody to work for you, and make it extremely difficult to keep good talent around even if you do. If you are going to swoop in and arbitrarily change things, then folks with talent who care for their jobs may become resentful and eventually find work elsewhere. You'll be stuck with talentless yes-men, and the project will suffer for it. I've seen your posting history, and while I might be called out for trolling/flaming/whatever, your assertion that you know a lot about game development is patently and absurdly false. It sounds to me that you are looking less for a good team and more for a pack of slaves to bend to your ego, and I'm sorry but creative teams simply do not work that way. The 'blackmail' approach Hodgman mentions only goes so far, and if you ignore the feedback of the members of your team (which, again, your posting history indicates is extremely likely) then your project will probably fail and you will lose money. At some point, you'll have to understand that your lack of experience and your megalomaniacal need to control every single aspect of the design down to the tiniest of details such as the placement of buttons might make you feel good, but is not a recipe for success in any way, shape or form.

In short, if you want to be the money man, be the money man. Invest in a good team, let them do what they do best, and sit back to reap the profits. But don't try to be the designer, because you lack the skills and your interference will harm the project. If you do want to be the designer, then listen to the feedback of those on your team with more experience, and don't arbitrarily supercede them because you think that somehow your ideas are better than theirs, and maybe you will learn something.

good team and more for a pack of slaves to bend to your ego, and I'm sorry but creative teams simply do not work that way. The 'blackmail' approach Hodgman mentions only goes so far

It depends on the team I guess.
I've seen slave-drivers and their office is still up as we speak. Sure, the turnover in terms of resources/employees is crazy, but they somehow managed it regardless.
i think investor/venture-capitalst is what I want to be..
I dont have time for writing GDD anymore, its really time consuming.
i am making a lot more money from other work now and i need to invest the money :D

but does black mailing to pull out mone work really?
because then everything i have paid them so far is a loss?
i think the devs have easier to get what they want because i see it in all games where they keep pushing release date and extending 1000 times while producers(guys with money) are hassling them to release already... they cant just pull out.. the game has to have taken a complete disaster step for pulling out to be worth it.

and FLeBlanc.. i know you dont udnerstand my game designing posts, you should stick to programming and let game designers to their job.
Aw man, your posts always crack me up laugh.png

Yeah I think what you're describing sounds like a venture capitalist/investor. You look for promising developers, finance their game and get a compensation in return.
But I really think you should drop the attitude of controlling every little bit of the process. If you find a team with a good prototype why should you dictate them what to do with your money? After all, you are giving them money to finish their game, not yours.

I'm not an expert here but I think this would all be decided during the contracting phase. Both parties agree on a game design, lay out milestones etc.

So in honour of your username, good luck and have fun. kthxbai biggrin.png

1. i think investor/venture-capitalst is what I want to be..
2. but does black mailing [by threatening] to pull out mone[y] work really?
3. because then everything i have paid them so far is a loss?
4. and FLeBlanc.. i know you dont udnerstand my game designing posts, you should stick to programming and let game designers to their job.

1. Good, because as the others said above, that is what you described. But I would not want to be on the receiving end of your venture capital -- you put very rough strings on your money.
2. It can, if done right. No method comes with a magical guarantee.
3. All business is risk. You shouldn't make a threat without being willing to see it through.
4. That was uncalled for. I downvoted your post for this nastiness.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

so where can i find teams that look for investor?
I have never ever seen a thread where they ask for that at least on any kind of game dev related forum.

so where can i find teams that look for investor?
I have never ever seen a thread where they ask for that at least on any kind of game dev related forum.

Most studios looking for investment will contact potential investors themselves, investors looking for investment opportunities will look around for promising startup companies themselves. You can get a list of game related companies in sweden right here: http://www.allabolag.se/what/Utgivning_Av_Dataspel. (Allthough if you're looking to invest money you might want to branch out a bit and look at non game related companies aswell)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement