• Create Account

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlackHwk4   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 October 2001 - 11:57 AM

I started teaching myself about physics a couple of days ago and I have a couple of questions. The tutorial I was reading was about graphs in 1D kinematics. Here is the equation I have questions about:

What do those triangles stand for? And the 2 and 1 beside the y''s and x''s, does that mean I subtract the right point from the left point? Thanks for any help.

Sponsor:

#2 b00ny   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 October 2001 - 12:08 PM

The triangle is the Greek letter Delta, and in this context is used to mean "Difference". i.e "slope equals difference in Y divded by difference in X"

The 1s and 2s are indicating the first and second point, i.e. If you have a line running from point (x1,y1) to (x2,y2). The formula then gives you the gradient (slope) of that line.

#3 BlackHwk4   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 October 2001 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the help. Everything makes sense now.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS