• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

CryEngine 3 or Unity 3d?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 EmmetCooper   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys, we're currently modeling our characters for an RPG game for the PC and hopefully Xbox360 using blender and 3ds maya.And i was wondering what do you guys think is the much better and suitable engine for an RPG game(fantasy game). They say that unity 3d is better because it's much easier to use but not much on the graphics quality.Plus some features are only available for PRO(which is i think around $1500,too much for our budget). One of those features that we needed on our game is the video playback(for the cutscenes maybe xD). CryEngine is great because first of all, it's entirely free and the features are great like the physics, lighting , advanced character animation and environment interactivity. It's downside though theres not much attention given to it unlike to Unity 3d(or at least that what i know for now).That downside makes us doubt of its reliability. What do you guys think is much better? CryEngine 3 or Unity 3d.

Sponsor:

#2 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

2Likes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

it's entirely free

For non commercial projects only. It is infact thousands and thousands of dollars for full projects and the royalty based license only covers PC so to go onto xbox like you want you WILL need the full license. Also to develop on console you need a console developers license which is also thousands and thousands of dollars. THe $99 license for xbox only covers XNA games with C# or VB.net not cryengine or unity. So if the $1500 for unity's pro features is out of budget then you need to consider what platforms you actually want to target and whether you want to charge for your game or not.

#3 EmmetCooper   Members   -  Reputation: 206

-1Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

actually we're not yet thinking for how much we'll charge for our game..our number one concern for now is the quality of the graphics and the realism of the AIs. And we are still researching on which engine is much better,.. How about UDK?.. It also have many cool and very useful features though i haven't really used it yet. I saw it's youtube vid 'Unreal Engine 3 (2012) feature highlights' ...the physics and graphics is very amazing..as to what platform we'll use, xbox is just an option..but we are prioritizing a PC game..

#4 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

1Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

So you saw a video and thought the physics were "amazing"? It really won't matter what you use in the endgame, and both cost thousands of dollars to license. Why not recruit a programmer or two and simply program it yourself. You don't "need" to use an engine, and if your budget is under $1500 then you will NOT be able to even release the game with either engines.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#5 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1917

3Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

actually we're not yet thinking for how much we'll charge for our game..our number one concern for now is the quality of the graphics and the realism of the AIs. And we are still researching on which engine is much better,.. How about UDK?.. It also have many cool and very useful features though i haven't really used it yet. I saw it's youtube vid 'Unreal Engine 3 (2012) feature highlights' ...the physics and graphics is very amazing..as to what platform we'll use, xbox is just an option..but we are prioritizing a PC game..

http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/

Now on that side you can read about the license, try out their engine for free and make a decision upon that. Posted Image

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#6 Kirkula   Members   -  Reputation: 141

2Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hah, I like how UDK is free for schools to use, but it's 2500 a year for a business to use to train safety to it's employees...lol

#7 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

2Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

THe physics are just as good (if not better) in unity. PhysX (the library powering unity physics) is incredibly capable and in unity 4 is hardware accelerated.

#8 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

-2Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

/Delete

Edited by superman3275, 27 September 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

#9 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

-3Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

/delete

Edited by superman3275, 27 September 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#10 EmmetCooper   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

EmmetCooper just downvoted me because I gave an opinion that he didn't want to hear. #Shouldn'tBeAllowedOnForums

i didnt downvoted you dude...i posted here to ask for opinions and/or advice...i wont post here if im just going to oppose something that i dont wanna here...maybe i just accidentally clicked something..i respect every opinion anyone posts here...

#11 EmmetCooper   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

what the hell is happening to my account?....downvoting everyone....sorry guys but i didnt downvoted anyone...maybe something is wrong with my pc...sorry..

#12 EmmetCooper   Members   -  Reputation: 206

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

i got the UDK and everything looks awesome..however, how can we import 3ds files from max or maya?...or even blender?...if we need any plugins or addons for importing,...what do we need to do that?...thanks in advance,,,

superman3275, sorry for the trouble...i owe you 10 votes...hehe..thanks..

#13 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6322

1Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

I wonder how superman can know who downvoted him :) (That information isn't visible to users AFAIK)
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#14 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

On UDK I'm pretty sure you go to open, I wouldn't know, I've only ever used Unity3d for small stuff.

#15 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9294

1Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I wonder how superman can know who downvoted him

Actually, if you have a rough idea who downvoted you, you can confirm by checking their rep and looking for their -1 downvote on your post. Of course, if you have no idea who did it, then you can't know without checking everyone's rep. Not that it matters that much...

Edited by Bacterius, 25 September 2012 - 09:44 PM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#16 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

i got the UDK and everything looks awesome..however, how can we import 3ds files from max or maya?...or even blender?...if we need any plugins or addons for importing,...what do we need to do that?...thanks in advance,,,

So when you're in Max, make sure you export as a obj or fbx, depending on if you're using actorX. If it's a static object, then obj should be fine. If you have any kind of animation, then it's a lengthy process. But one thing that is good to remember is that it needs bones, even if it's just a morph animation.

Now, lets say you have your model all set for import. Just open up your content browser and click import on the lower left hand side. You'll be given plenty of options for the import, but playing around with it and figuring out how to create your own content packages will help. And make sure to save multiple iterations of your work, as UDK has a tendency to update and break things or over-ride content if you are testing them out.

Hope I helped! Posted Image

Edited by DaveTroyer, 27 September 2012 - 03:38 PM.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

#17 rdragon1   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1200

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

...I saw it's youtube vid 'Unreal Engine 3 (2012) feature highlights' ...the physics and graphics is very amazing..

And by that you mean, the professional modelers, texture artists, lighters, animators, and shader artists that put together those games are amazing :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS