• Create Account

what should I do?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 matan1595   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

hello,
i have been studying c and c++ for the past six years and i feel very comfortable with it.
the reason i began to learn was to make a video game and i tried to learn how few times (without to much of a success)
generally I understood that what i need to be learning is directX but i am not certain what exactly to do
should i learn pure directX or should i use some kind of a game engine (a free one)
i don't have any problems with math if this is a factor
so what should i do?

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5793

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Buy a new keyboard, your current one seems to have a broken shift key.

Otherwise, im not really sure what you are asking. Should you learn DirectX? Sure.

Or are you asking if you should use an engine?

Sure.
It all comes down to what you want to accomplish... learning or actually finishing.

#3 matan1595   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

sorry if i didn't make myself clear.
i want to built a game (not something to big) how would you recommend to start?

#4 Lazy Foo   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

2Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

I made these game programming tutorials. You might find them helpful.

I recommend just dabbling in a bit of everything until you find something you like.

Edited by Lazy Foo, 16 September 2012 - 12:27 AM.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

#5 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4034

0Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

should i learn pure directX or should i use some kind of a game engine (a free one)

A third alternative is to use a library such as Allegro, SDL or SFML. They abstract away the underlying platfroms (such as DirectX or OpenGL), but still give you a lot more freedom than what you could expect from an existing engine.

Edited by LennyLen, 16 September 2012 - 12:58 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS