• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Problem initializing object

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Naked Shooter   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hi! I have an abstract GameOS object, and a windows implementation in WindowsOS.

class GameOS
{
private:
bool fullScreen;
public:
virtual void showWindow() = 0;
virtual void resize(U32 width, U32 height) = 0;
virtual void initialize() = 0;
virtual void processOSMessages()=0;
virtual void shutdown()=0;
virtual void setFullScreen(bool value) = 0;
};

I also have a platform detection class, where I try to allocate an OS object. For each platform, the platform detection class would use different cpp files. I was playing around with a custom stack allocator, trying to allocate the OS from a big stack that's passed in:

class PlatformDetection
{
private:

public:
PlatformDetection();
~PlatformDetection(void);

static GameOS* initAndReturnOS(StackAllocator& subsystemStack);
};

The windows implementation of the the initAndReturn function looks like this:

GameOS* PlatformDetection::initAndReturnOS(StackAllocator& subsystemStack)
{
WindowsOS* ret = (WindowsOS*)subsystemStack.allocateAligned(sizeof(WindowsOS), __alignof(WindowsOS));
memset(ret, 0, sizeof(WindowsOS));
ret->initialize();
return (GameOS*)ret;
}

The program crashes on ret->initialize(). The thing is, when I comment out "virtual void initialize() = 0;" in GameOS.h, it behaves normally, so it looks like it's trying to call an undefined function of GameOS rather than WindowsOS's function, even though the point is of type WindowsOS*...

Does anyone know why this is?

Sponsor:

#2 RulerOfNothing   Members   -  Reputation: 1162

0Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

When you call memset(ret,0,sizeof(WindowsOS)); you might be trashing the vtable. If initialize is not a virtual function, then ret->initialize() doesn't need the vtable to be called, so it doesn't crash. I am curious as to why you used memset to clear that object.

#3 Naked Shooter   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

When you call memset(ret,0,sizeof(WindowsOS)); you might be trashing the vtable. If initialize is not a virtual function, then ret->initialize() doesn't need the vtable to be called, so it doesn't crash. I am curious as to why you used memset to clear that object.

The memset was basically there for no reason, I thought it might help but it didn't..

The solution was to use a 'placement new' like this:

WindowsOS* ret = (WindowsOS*)subsystemStack.allocateAligned(sizeof(WindowsOS), __alignof(WindowsOS));
ret = new (ret) WindowsOS;

This way, we can properly construct an object wile using a pre-allocated chunk of memory to store it.

Edited by Naked Shooter, 16 September 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS