• Create Account

Making smart-seeming NPCs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#21 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

I've played well over 500 hours of Skyrim, and I don't see anything that makes the NPC AI good or special. They just walk around on schedules and play back pre-recorded lines. It's all marketing speak!

Follower NPC AI is among the worst ever.

Edited by Daaark, 18 September 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Sponsor:

#22 IADaveMark   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2416

1Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

I've played well over 500 hours of Skyrim, and I don't see anything that makes the NPC AI good or special. They just walk around on schedules and play back pre-recorded lines. It's all marketing speak!

Their focus was no on making completely compelling villagers... there were more important things to do on a project of that size.

Speaking of which...

Follower NPC AI is among the worst ever.

That is actually a fairly ridiculous statement. Posted Image

There is plenty they do very well. The problem is, the better AI gets, the less you notice it precisely because it looks normal.

For example:

Weapon Selection
Points of Interest

Sure, there are things they could have done better... but "worst ever?" Not even remotely.

Edited by IADaveMark, 18 September 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC

Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Co-founder of the AI Game Programmers Guild
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS