• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Weapon Attachments - unusual ideas?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm thinking up cool attatchments for a weapon in a shooter game. Like in Crysis or COD, you can customize your gun, and often, different attachments have different benefits

A little info about the game: It's a FPS, multiplayer, in a kind of mock modern-fantasy-toonish setting. I'm hoping that lots of different gameplay types will eventually become part of the game - stealth, destruction, tactics, rampaging killstreaks - through different game modes and rules (including zombies)

I have a pretty comprehensive list of the 'conventional' attachments used in games, but I'm hoping for some more outlandish ideas. I'll get the ball rolling with two I thought of yesterday:

Muzzle Break
In real life, it's a little thing you screw on the end of the barrel. It reduces recoil by directing the flow of muzzle gases, which could be useful for high-recoil weapons

Underslung crossbow
Some people stick a grenade launcher to their assault rifle. Some use an under-barrel shotgun. Well, what about an underslung CROSSBOW? The report is much quieter than firing a round, so it's a good stealth weapon.

Sponsor:

#2 NaturalNines   Members   -  Reputation: 334

3Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Under-barrel SMG. Always wanted one of those on a sniper rifle.

Energy Pulse system attachment: releases a directional burst that detonates incoming rockets/exposives and knocks back any enemies nearby

EMP: close range underbarrel attachment to easily disable robots/equipment

Edited by NaturalNines, 18 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Good news, everyone! I have a signature now!

#3 Msonic   Members   -  Reputation: 138

1Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

A built-in harpoon launcher.

Why?
Harpoons are badass

#4 TechnoGoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2788

1Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Chainsaw? Can't survive the zombies hordes without one.
Eraser style scope that lets you see through walls
flame thrower
freezer
net launcher

#5 Iron Chef Carnage   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1840

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

The normal stuff has merit, of course, so a big variety of optics and lasers and flashlights could fit.

You say it's mock-fantasy, so will there be magic? Just about any directed spell could be strapped onto a picatinny rail. Or you could have a magic muzzle brake that adds some kind of effect to the bullets themselves, adding versatility to normal rounds.

Sweet bayonets are always fun, whether they be chainsaws or wooden stakes.

Grappling hook.

#6 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

2Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Here are a few that I thought up.
Under-barrel Bolo Tosser - This would throw a bolo that would slow your target down for short time
Under-barrel Fire Extinguisher - Oh no! Someone on the other team is lighting everyone on fire! With this, you can put them out.
Ventriloquist Muzzle - It's kind of like a suppressor, but it saves up the sound and you need to "empty" it when its full with a loud bang that makes everyone go deaf for a short while.
Dark Light- The opposite of a flash light. This will make a cone that is difficult to see in and can't see further ahead.
Magic Barrier +3 - This handy lil guy makes a forward facing magic shield in front of the user for a couple of seconds. Very useful for backing away from an ambush. (Would need to make very limited or long reload time for balance purposes)

I dunno how complex you'd like to go with the ideas, so I figured I'd just throw these out there. Posted Image

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

#7 cronocr   Members   -  Reputation: 755

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Some I always wanted:

Small ballista - Throws inexpensive/easy-to-find ammo such as little rocks to distract enemies.
Mini-nuke launcher - Is conventional ammo not enough to head-shoot that huge robot or apocalyptical beast??
Another sniper rifle - The upper rifle will be loaded with lethal ammo, and the lower with tranquilizers.
Auto-aim device - Transforms your sniper rifle into an automated turret that guards your camp while you take a nap.

#8 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

A super soaker (or some water pistol)
A super bright light that blinds enemies

On a more serious note, I always loved the explosive tipped arrows from Turok, so I'd be in favor of something like that. Yeah, it's kinda like a grenade launcher, but the fact that it's an arrow makes it so much cooler.

[edit]

Oooohh, and a shuriken launcher, similar to the one in Jet Force Gemini.

Edited by Cornstalks, 18 September 2012 - 02:39 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#9 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3658

2Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Just attachments? Not new weapons?

I think it might be interesting if attachments themselves were rarely deadly, but intead function as sort of support utilities.

Grappling Hook

Paint ball cannon, blinds opponents/ makes them stand out against the background

EDIT: Radioactive paint ball- makes them visible through walls/ leaves a trail

Tazer

Laughing Gas- Rocks hit player's view, like they're laughing hysterically, plus manaical laughing sound effect

Sleepytime Gas- slows enemies waaaaayyy doown

Pepper spray- turns enemies players' screens red, agony sound effect

Superglue - Create puddle of glue which traps enemy players

Teleporter puck- like Unreal Tournament, player fires puck, and then can telport to that location (or into other players, killing them)

Bayonet- quicker, longer-ranged melee attack

Flash bang projecter- blind opponents facing player

Health gun- heal teammates

Edited by Prinz Eugn, 18 September 2012 - 03:22 PM.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#10 floorgoblin   Members   -  Reputation: 109

1Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Drawing inspiration from The Fifth Element, a tracking attachment. Activate it, hit an enemy, and then all bullets fired thereafter will follow the target. Deactivate to turn off and choose a new target.

Others;

Ricochet attachment, allowing bullets to bounce off walls in a semi-predictable fashion, allowing players to shoot around corners, etc.

spider egg attachment, allows player to lob eggs into a crowd of enemies, producing a swarm of spiders, and they're hungry...

#11 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3658

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Loudener- opposite of a silencer. Increases damage, but creates a huge flash with a loud bang giving player position away (also increases recoil)

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#12 TomVD   Members   -  Reputation: 186

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Special poison tipped bullets - messes with the enemies' head so he goes berzerk and takes nearby allies down with him in his last seconds before dying slowly. Great when you face a crowd of enemies, but only have 1 bullet, just make sure you don't shoot him in the head.

A little portal addon - you place the portal in the wall where you know the enemy will pass, and move yourself to a safe place where you see when they are near your portal, then shoot; instead of the bullet exiting your gun, it will exit the portal. After you shot they detect and destroy your portal instantly and probably know your position too, so make sure its a hit. Great to use with a RPG launcher.

#13 Mito   Members   -  Reputation: 855

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

A little portal addon - you place the portal in the wall where you know the enemy will pass, and move yourself to a safe place where you see when they are near your portal, then shoot; instead of the bullet exiting your gun, it will exit the portal. After you shot they detect and destroy your portal instantly and probably know your position too, so make sure its a hit. Great to use with a RPG launcher.

better, a portal gun add-on o/

THAT would be cool.

#14 Bowiz2   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

You asked for unusual ideas... I've got a couple VERY unusal ones.
Fractal Gun- A gun attatched to a gun attatched to a gun to infinity.
Meat Launcher (instead of a grenade launcher) - may be a bit gory, but just launching pieces of meat could be fairly amusing - especially with good physics.

#15 Inukai   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

What about a shistol? A shield attached on a pistol, with the gun barrel going through the shield.

#16 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

The ex-wife.

#17 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

1Likes

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

The ex-wife.

I can just imagine a haggard woman with her hair in curlers clinging to the back of the player nagging them with directions and belittling their performance (in the game Posted Image). The benefit to having her strapped to the player would be taking damage from the player getting shot in the back and like one side of their head. Maybe to balance it even more would be to also slow the player down a little for carrying the extra weight. Oh and if there is a point/money/experience system attached to the game, she could take half!

Some other (D&D inspired) ideas I've had are:

Magic Mirror - The player looks to be a shifting image that is constantly blurring and cutting in and out. Kinda would look like they're lagging though lol. Could have an alt fire to place a image of the player, similar to other "hologram" systems in other games.
Bullet Rubber-izer - Adds a magic, rubber coating to the bullets that makes the bullets ricochet around briefly before disappearing.
Velocity Reduction Muzzle - Slows the bullet down to a crawl as it moves through the level, but it doesn't decrease it's lethal potential. An enemy could run into it and take the full or more damage from just that one bullet.
Vorpal Muzzle - Reduces the damage of the projectile significantly unless it's a crit/head shot, in which its an instant kill/gib. Would be fun for advanced players and snipers.
Bullet Blinders - Similar to blinders on horses, these will narrow the spread of rapid fire weapons, but your turn speed is slowed down when firing.
Ammo Mag/Clip of Holding - Significantly increase the amount of ammo in a mag/clip meaning less reloads! Could be balanced by having to refill it/them before reload, so the player would still collect the same amount of ammo on the level, but it might take longer.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS