• Create Account

Learning OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 SW214   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

I've been having an issue finding a good place to learn OpenGL. I've been interested in graphics programming and I've been interested in OpenGL rather than DirectX, but my issue is every book I've looked over seems to be outdated (OpenGL 1.1, 1.2, etc) or seems to expect me to have an understanding of graphics programming already.

Does anyone have any recommendations? The Books section on this site doesn't seem to be very helpful when I've been looking through it either. It could be I am horrible on deciding on a book.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6685

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Here is list of open gl books, though most have more or less a reference character. An other really good book about all the 3d techniques around, independently of an API, is real-time rendering, but it is more of an overview then a learning experience.

Edited by Ashaman73, 19 September 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#3 Lazy Foo   Members   -  Reputation: 1103

4Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

I made this OpenGL tutorial to teach the basics of rendering geometry, texturing and shaders with OpenGL 2.1/3.0. I recommend http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/ as a follow up for the more advanced stuff.
Learn to make games with my SDL Tutorials.
Transition from OpenGL 2 to modern OpenGL using my OpenGL Tutorial.

#4 Rld_   Members   -  Reputation: 1345

1Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

A teacher at my college made this site: http://3dgep.com/

It is his way of providing the information we need and I'm sure you'll find it helpful when you read through it (provided you have some C++ experience)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS