Calculate chunk From Global X,Y,Z

Started by
3 comments, last by Ashaman73 11 years, 6 months ago
I have a tiled world divided into 64x64x64 chunks. The player is at a global x,y,z tile position and I need to figure out which chunk he is in so I can render it. Currently the chunks are referenced by the global x,y,z position of the tile in the corner of the chunk(chunk position 0,0,0)but this is starting to suck as a referencing system. I clearly need to revisit math I haven't done in years, but while I'm doing that, could one of you math wizards point me in the right direction on this one? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Why not just reference your chunks by their own coordinate system, using 0,0,0 for the first chunk, 1,0,0 for the chunk right of it, 0,1,0 for the one above and so on.

The chunk id is then just the player's (global) block position divided by chunk size truncated to zero decimal places.
First off, use integer positions for your chunk to avoid equal-comparisions of floats/doubles.

First approach: own coordination system like rnlf sugguested

int x = (int)(player.x/CHUNK_SIZE_X);

Second approach: chunk is referent by real coord

int x=(int)( floor(player.x/CHUNK_SIZE_X)*CHUNK_SIZE_X);
I got this working, or so I thought. The problem is my world is isometric and my tiles are...well...see for yourself:

264297_3752821945410_1475854459_n.jpg

So the above solution doesn't compute the correct chunk based on coordinates because it assumes square chunks. For reference, the Y axis goes northwest to southeast. I'll keep working away at it, but if anybody has an algorithm that will help I'd sure appreciate it. Thank you!

Lance...
Take a look here, there I have explained how to transform a screen position (or mouse position) into iso-tile positions. Once you have your tile position, you can use the chunk calculation from above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement