• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Rcommendation for making a 2D rpg game(The basics)!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hansemannen   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hello everyone:)
As the toptic says I wan't to start making a small 2D rpg, mostly just for fun and learning. It's not going to be big game, I just want to do the basics.
For now I have experience in ActionScript 3.0 and some Java(Still learning process). I have been thinking about making it in java, so my question is, is it bad to make a 2D rpg in java? Also is it any engines or somthing I should check out. I have tryed Slick2D and lwjgl library, but I don't know if it's the best way to make a 2D rpg, I have also been thinking it should be tilebased.
I appreciate all feeback I can get, or recommendations.
And sorry for not super awesome english!
I am also open for advice like it is better to make such a game in another language and so one. you get my point:)
Thank's folks!:)

Sponsor:

#2 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

1. Solidify your knowledge of basic Java (Read 1 or 2 good books and watch a web series combined with the official documentation);
2. Learn a library. Either Slick2D or lwjgl would work, just pick one;
3. Try to make something simple like pong or a tetris clone (Despite what you may think both are very hard for a beginner with no tutorials);
4. Experiment. Move on and try to make your own games;

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#3 Verik   Members   -  Reputation: 260

0Likes

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Heya,

I can relate to you, as I also thought: let's make a 2d rpg like thing in java. I did a quick scout and found that JGame gives a fast starting point. I'd not recommend it if you want to have a clean engine. But for getting started quickly, there is no match. I used the Dungeons of Hack code as a starting point. There is an applet version if you want to check it out (small) (fullscreen).

Good: you have the code and graphics of this game as a starting point.
Bad: it is not the nicest code. So if you want to learn how to program more than you want to learn how to make a game, I'd stay away for now.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS