• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Is XNA dying and MS forcing to C++?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
124 replies to this topic

#81 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

what about those whose focus is XBLIG?

That's pretty self-explanatory, no? XBLIG is on XBox Live. Since the platform and OS isn't changing, XNA is still perfectly viable (and your only option anyway, I believe)
Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

Sponsor:

#82 IndyOfComo   Members   -  Reputation: 620

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

(and your only option anyway, I believe)

It's this part that I wasn't 100% on. Thanks.
Here is my technical background info.

#83 ATC   Members   -  Reputation: 551

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's this part that I wasn't 100% on. Thanks.

For professionals there is the XDK (XBox Development Kit). But the license costs $$$ and Microsoft is selective in who is able to obtain it. If you had a good enough game concept, some money and know what you're doing it could be an option.

Please visit our new forums and help us test them and break the ice!
___________________________________________________________________________________

#84 6677   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

some money

Talking a lot of money, not $10000 or something (a large enough amount on its own), multiply that by 10, maybe even 50 or even more....

#85 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1406

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

If you switch to c++, look up some libraries such as Irrlicht ( my fav ), ogre3d, and allegro. These do in c++ what xna does for c#.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#86 gnubberlang   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

It's a shame to hear this about XNA (mostly a c#/xna person here), but thanks everyone for the great info on alternatives.

#87 Sooker   Members   -  Reputation: 299

1Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

I tried SharpDX the last couple days and have to say that it fells nice, but the lack of documentation is a bit of a problem.
But with the samples and the tutorials wich are there you can make a 2D game without big problems.

I´m Staying at SharpDX Posted Image

Thanks for your help

#88 Ultrahead   Members   -  Reputation: 210

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

I´m Staying at SharpDX Posted Image

Wise decision ... :)

#89 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2937

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

some money

Talking a lot of money, not $10000 or something (a large enough amount on its own), multiply that by 10, maybe even 50 or even more....

This license however also comes with a full version of VS2010 Professional per devkit so for a company you actually save a bit as a license for VS isn't cheap either.
Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#90 Sooker   Members   -  Reputation: 299

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I finally got some time to try SharpDX and have a small core wich can render a triangle. I also read the rastertek DX11 tutorials. It's low api and my concerns are that I am more programming an engine than a game. I will try a pong next, but I feel like I spend 80% to graphic initialization and handling then the actual game

#91 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Well, I understand your concern, but you came this far so finishing that "Pong" is the right decision. It will give you the programming needed at this stage.

Progress is being made! Posted Image

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#92 Sooker   Members   -  Reputation: 299

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I will finish it, thats for sure, but I don´t know about my next step?

#93 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

1Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

once you get pong going, its time for something like pacman.

#94 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, PacMan is the logical next step after Pong.

If you feel that you have a good grasp after Pong and then PacMan, then you could start easing into 3D simple programming, but keep working on 2D for a while.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#95 Sooker   Members   -  Reputation: 299

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

so i should stay at SharpDX?

#96 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

2Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Is it working for you? Are you able to accomplish your goals with SharpDX? Are you feeling more confident with it the more you use it?

Then yes.

Don't hop around just to find the best possible API. Rethinking your language/API choice is something to do after completing a project and before starting a new one. There's no reason you should have to abandon using SharpDX (or "your API of choice" to be more generic) mid-stream.

I will try a pong next, but I feel like I spend 80% to graphic initialization and handling then the actual game

Do note that SharpDX, being a c# wrapper around DirectX, is still fairly low-level. The SharpDX Toolkit is coming soon which will behave much more like XNA did (giving a high-level interface to the library), but until that's released, you're doing a lot of the groundwork yourself for rendering. You've basically just got c#-friendly handles to the native DirectX functions, but no framework to speak of (something the Toolkit will do and XNA already did for you). Which is why you're writing a framework when you follow those Rastertek tutorials.

Edited by BCullis, 08 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

#97 Sooker   Members   -  Reputation: 299

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Well, my biggest problem is to understand how to design a game. how to setup classes and how to handle and interact with them.
Where does the CollisionCheck executes and all these game design things

That Is my Game Design for now:

Pong-Ball Class:
[source lang="csharp"]using SharpDX;namespace PongGame{ class Ball { private Vector2 position { get; set; } private Vector2 direction { get; set; } public void Move() { // To-Do: Movement if (!CollisionCheck()) { direction = CalculateNewDirection(); } } private bool CollisionCheck() { // To-Do: Collision Check (Collusion Class?) return false; } private Vector2 CalculateNewDirection() { // To-Do: Calculate new Direction return new Vector2(); } }}[/source]

Pong-Bar Class:
[source lang="csharp"]namespace PongGame{ class Pong { private float top { get; set; } private float bot { get; set; } public void MoveUp(float distance) { this.top -= distance; } public void MoveDown(float distance) { this.bot += distance; } }}[/source]

#98 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3159

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

The fact that you are concerned about game engine and game source code boundries shows that you are forward looking. That's good!

Down the road, that will be something to tackle. Right now you just need to sharpen your basic programming skills with some more simple games, 2D now and 3D later. Meanwhile, soak all this experience as you learn terminology, functions, calls, and so forth.

Clinton

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#99 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

0Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

I will finish it, thats for sure, but I don´t know about my next step?

Actually I would do Asteroids and/or Breakout* before Pac-Man. But that's just me.

*Arkanoid was Breakout but advanced.

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 13 October 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#100 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

0Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

The SharpDX Toolkit is coming soon which will behave much more like XNA did (giving a high-level interface to the library),

So now there will be ANX and SharpDX Toolkit? Both XNA replacements. Correct?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS