• Create Account

Displaying large images in DX10

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 boops boops   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm making a custom control in VB.Net which provides image panning, zooming and rotation.It's working the way I like in GDI+ except that it's slow and can't deal with anything over about 4096x4096 pixels. So I decided to try rendering in DirectX instead. It's definitely zippier but there is still an upper limit on image size: now, after column/row 4095 or so, the last column/row is repeated in the render to produce stripes of colour. I gather from this thread that the upper size limit is a long known problem. I'm a bit of a dinosaur (WinXPsp3 with DX3d10, 2GB system memory, 256MB video) so I guess I am running into the same thing.

This is my first time using DirectX and I arrived at the following code by taking available examples and stripping out whatever seemed superflous.
Private Sub InitiateDevice()
  Dim pParams As New PresentParameters With {.Windowed = True, .SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard, .BackBufferCount = 0}
  _Device = New Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, Me.Handle, CreateFlags.MixedVertexProcessing, pParams)
  _Device.SetRenderState(RenderStates.AlphaBlendEnable, True)
  _Device.RenderState.SourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha
End Sub

Private Function GetTextureFromFile(filename As String) As Texture
  Return TextureLoader.FromFile(_Device, filename, _ImageSize.Width, _ImageSize.Height, 0, 0, 0, Pool.Managed, Filter.Linear, Filter.Linear, 0)
End Function

Private Sub Render()
  If _Device IsNot Nothing Then
   Dim srcRectangle As New Rectangle(Point.Empty, _ImageSize)
   Dim destSize As New Size(CInt(_ImageSize.Width * _ZoomFactor), CInt(_ImageSize.Height * _ZoomFactor))
   _Device.Clear(ClearFlags.Target, Me.BackColor, 0, 0)
   _Device.BeginScene()
   Using sprite As New Sprite(_Device)
	sprite.Begin(SpriteFlags.AlphaBlend)
	sprite.Draw2D(_Texture, srcRectangle, destSize, _
		 _RotationCentre, _Rotation, _ImageCentre, Color.White)
	sprite.End()
   End Using
   _Device.EndScene()
   _Device.Present()
  End If
End Sub
The identifiers beginning with underscores are defined at class level. I have tried variations on arguments such as Width, Height, Pool and Filter without solving the problem. Assuming there isn't something simple I need to change, can anyone recommend a better technique for handling large images (e.g. > 10K * 10K pixels) with DirectX?

cheers, BB

EDIT: I just found a tool called DirectX Caps Viewer which reveals that my graphics card is indeed limited to a maximum texture size of 4096 * 4096. Can I overcome this limit by dividing large images into multiple textures? If so, can anyone recommend an example?

Edited by boops boops, 19 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 ucfchuck   Members   -  Reputation: 139

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

im not very well versed, but first are you using some kind of 10 on 9 cause last i heard (granted it was several years ago) directx10 couldn't run on xp, and second a 256 mb card wont be able to handle a 32bpp 10k x 10k texture at once, you would have to upload and draw in pieces in a semi synchronous way if it were to work at all( like upload and draw a 2500x2500 texture, then change its coordinates and do it again 15 times and then swap the backbuffer?), i think, but again im not well versed enough with that pipeline to know how it allocates storage between textures and output, but once you are through the shaders even a 1080p 32bpp screen is only like 8mB, so i would think it should fit. otherwise i think it is possible to run the shaders in software on the cpu instead of on the gpu, but again i am not sure what xp would do with that.

#3 Starnick   Members   -  Reputation: 1256

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yeah you would have to break up such a large texture into sub-images. I don't have an example, but I'm sure you can get some inspiration by searching for "tiling engine" or "tilemap", as the problem is similar to that of an overhead 2D game - large background that needs to be tiled/streamed in as you move about.

Edited by Starnick, 20 September 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS