• Create Account

how do I blur shadows? from shadow maps.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

So I made shadows on my game, the terrain is not that large, and the shadows seem a little weird, I was thinking that I could blur them a little bit.

Tree test with shadow.png

How could I accomplish that ? any code snippet I can take a look at?

Sponsor:

#2 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

come on guys, anyone? blurring a shadow on the egdes? I bet lots of guys here know how to do it, please, share a bit of your all mighty knowledge.

#3 Erik Rufelt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3632

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

As for the strange lines in your map, I guess you have chosen a too small bias. You need to use a bias in the shadow map comparison to get around imprecision.

For blurring, try searching for PCF shadow maps, or try something like this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/graphics-programming-and-theory/soft-edged-shadows-r2193

#4 winsrp   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

ah the knowledge has been shared, just what I was looking for!!

I do have chosen a small bias, I tried a larger one, but shadows started deattaching from tree bases, when the sun in move horizontal than vertical. the small lines is just the normals on the sides of my boxes (map is made out of cubes.)

Thanks a lot, I'll try to implement that.!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS