• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Guide to bad game design

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic

#61 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

2Likes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Oh, I have something to add to this bad design guide.

-No matter how simple the concept for the game, try and add as much context and content over the top of it.
-People love loading screens! To get as many loading screens as possible, don't compress any animations or stream levels!
-Speaking of animations, you don't need animators if you have motion capture! Just mo-cap what you need and you're set!
-Gamers love paying for stuff! Make your $60 single player game lock out story content until they pay the low price of $19.99 a month!
-Is your game taking more than 3 hours to finish? Well that's too long! Cut it abruptly and sell the rest later as DLC! See above!
-You say your game isn't very good? Add boobs and violence! You'll get extra sales that way!

I have more, but I think I got most the important ones out there to really make a "great" game.Posted Image

Edited by DaveTroyer, 30 November 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS