Please explain this about iPhone

Started by
9 comments, last by Russell2 11 years, 6 months ago
Can anyone explain this about the iPhone? Today my wife plugged in her iPhone to her computer, and it starts syncing or updating or something. A while later, the phone is back to last December and all of her contacts are gone.

Then I thought, "wait we backup to iCloud!", so I check iCloud and it has... the contacts from last December. Really, Apple?

I read about it online and there and endless similar stories. I fully accept I don't know what the hell is going on, but this can't be this hard.

I had the same thing happen to me a while back, and I just stopped plugging my phone into any computer ever. This can't be the way it's supposed to be.

Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? The iPhone is so great, but for whatever reason they can't make this one part of it straightforward.
Advertisement
I do not have an iPhone, but since you asked me to explain (didn't you?), I went and found this article.
but for whatever reason they can't make this one part of it straightforward
I don't find any part of the syncing process straightforward.

* I wanted to put some music on my phone -- took me 10 minutes of exploring iTunes to find out how to "import" my local MP3 files into it's GUI, without it making more local copies of them. Half way through the "importing" process (which took ages on my MP3 collection), it randomly decides to start playing 30s clips from random files that it's parsing! It does this while there's a modal progress dialog active, so I can't even interact with the pause or volume buttons! Luckily Win7's volume control has separate volume bars for different applications, so I could mute iTunes and continue watching the video I had open...

* I want to put some files on my phone, because after all, it's basically a big USB drive -- after exploring iTunes for 10 minutes I give up. Google tells me I've got to use a 3rd party application to make this happen. WTF.

* I want to update iOS -- iTunes warns me that it may or may not destroy all the data on my phone, with OK/Cancel options (no "yes, please back up my data for me" option). So I explore iTunes again to find the backup option, let it do it's thing, and then update with the same warning. The update finishes, I restore the backup, but all my music is missing!

It's a cool smartphone, but the software is atrocious.
Yeah, contacts in Android sync over the air, continuously. Updates come over the air, too. There is no *need* to ever connect an android phone to a computer. And they show up as USB drives when you do actually plug them in.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Thats the way its "suppose" to work but did u check if u've exceeded your free cloud capacity of 5 gigs? I think if u have exceeded it, it won't cloud sync anymore, but maybe that's just for app data and not personal data like contacts and calendar, i can't image they would take up too much space. Since i can't see my cloud sync data readily its a mystery to me when my device last "cloud" sync. They need to work on that UI, either display i clearly on iTunes or on device, maybe as a notification.
You guys are clueless, Apple products Just Work. You must be holding the phone wrong while syncing.

You guys are clueless, Apple products Just Work. You must be holding the phone wrong while syncing.

That's exactly what I've told my friends who bought the new iPhone 5 and got lost with Apple's new maps app rolleyes.gif Clueless idiots...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

All of the apple hype makes me sad.
The higher end devices that run the android OS match up pretty well with apple products as far as hardware is concerned. The only real difference I can see is in the quality of the software. Android has much more potential (both for really good software and really crappy software) because anyone can code for it. The cool thing though is that with android you are given the choice to use whatever software you want...with apple you take what they hand you and hope it does not suck.

Yeah, contacts in Android sync over the air, continuously. Updates come over the air, too. There is no *need* to ever connect an android phone to a computer. And they show up as USB drives when you do actually plug them in.

You must not own a Samsung phone then. Some of them require their 'Kies' software to update -- had to help a family member update their phone.

[quote name='capn_midnight' timestamp='1348322540' post='4982660']

You must not own a Samsung phone then. Some of them require their 'Kies' software to update -- had to help a family member update their phone.
[/quote]

You should only need to use Kies to update if the carrier doesn't push the update over the air.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement