• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

std::queue class->struct->union. struct not initalized ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 XBog   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

i have a problem i dont understand.

I have a class Test with a struct teststr and use union for the struct.

[source lang="cpp"]#include <queue>class Test{struct teststr{bool test;};union{teststr size;};};[/source]

In the main i want too push the Test object in the queue.

[source lang="cpp"]std::queue<Test> m_tests; ///< Queue of available tests Test test1; //test1.teststr.test is null/empty???? Test test2; //test2.teststr.test is null//empty ??[/source]
The problem is that the test1 var ist initialized but not the struct within ????
So here test1.teststr.test is empty.

If i set Test test1; before the queue the struct is initialized so test1.teststr.test is filled.

[source lang="cpp"]Test test1; //.teststr.test is filled !!std::queue<Test> m_tests; ///< Queue of available testsTest test2; //test2.teststr.test is filled !![/source]

So my question is:
why is the struct teststr not initialized/set if use the following order?

[source lang="cpp"]std::queue<Test> m_tests; ///< Queue of available testsTest test1; //test1.teststr.test is null/empty???? Test test2; //test2.teststr.test is null//empty ??;[/source]

Edited by XBog, 23 September 2012 - 09:56 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Trienco   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2224

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Considering that your class has no constructor with an initializer list and you don't seem to initialize anything at any point in your code, why do you expect anything to be initialized?

The only reason you think it is "filled" is because it just randomly happens to contain what you want. Unless YOU initialize your stuff, it will contain random garbage.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

#3 XBog   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

test.size.test should contain true or false. test holds an object so i don't have to call constructor or have to initialize something, right? ...

i talked to my workmate today. and he confirmed the problem ... we don't know why test.size.test is empty, but it should filled with true or false (garbage)

u just have to test the same order:

[source lang="cpp"]std::queue m_tests; ///< Queue of available tests Test test1; //test1.teststr.test is null/empty???? Test test2; //test2.teststr.test is null//empty ??[/source]

attached a screenshot of it ....

Attached Thumbnails

• stdqueue_bug.png

#4 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5498

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

test.size.test should contain true or false.

True. It's a bool, it will contain either true or false. False is zero, true is anything else.

test holds an object so i don't have to call constructor or have to initialize something, right? ...

False. As a general rule, if you want something initialized, you must initialize it, otherwise it's not initialized.

i talked to my workmate today. and he confirmed the problem ... we don't know why test.size.test is empty, but it should filled with true or false (garbage)

I guarantee test.size.test is not "empty" and contains garbage. If whatever tool you're using to show its contents show nothing, it is likely that your tool is wither not working the way you think it's working, or it's broken.

An uninitialized variable is uninitialized. If you want a variable to have a known value, you must give it a known value.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#5 XBog   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

hmmm .. ok .. seems to be a bug in visual studio? Posted Image
Added an integer and visual studio 2010 just shows some ??? but my console output shows the right value .....

Edit: Ok not even a bug ... With unions i have to initialize one member of Union at any rate :) sry my fault

Attached Thumbnails

• stdqueue_bug_2.png

Edited by XBog, 24 September 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#6 Trienco   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2224

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

And make sure you're not debugging a release build or nothing you see can really be trusted.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS