• Create Account

Multiplayer for 3D games - How big of a project?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Astr0   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hey

If you look at todays AAA games like Starcraft, Warhammer 40k, League of Legends and so on, they all have very similar multiplayer functionalities. Where the main functionalities I suppose is being able to host/join games, chat and the matchmaking system. If you wanted to create something similar, a multiplayer system for a 3D game that lives up to the AAA games standards multiplayer. How advanced and how big of a project is this? For example, would 2 above average skilled network game programmers be able to create this in 1 years time?

Edited by Astr0, 25 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4955

1Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

For the networking part? Yes, definitely; I'd estimate it at much less than that. For example, the game "Spy Party" has a lobby, matchmaking, and game hosting, and the entire game is written by a single programmer, where the networking bit took a lot less than a year.

With networking, the biggest challenge is the integration into the gameplay, rather than moving the bits around the system/network. Your gameplay and physics (and likely UI and graphics) programmers all need to be able to think like network programmers for the game to work well networked.

Also, if you have two above-average skilled network programmers, you're doing pretty well -- that's a pretty distinguished crowd to get into :-)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 riuthamus   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4319

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Interesting, I dont program for networks but my job is an IT in the navy and I know a bit about how they work and why they work. My ability to design code is 0 but I understand how packets and frames work, as well as sending data from one point to another. Would something of that nature be of any help to those coders?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS