• Create Account

XNA 4.0 - Confusion about blend states (non-premultiplied alpha)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Althar   Members   -  Reputation: 250

0Likes

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hello all,

I am currently having a problem understanding XNA 4.0's blend states. After a few hours of experimenting and playing around, trying to achieve additive blending (using BlendState.Additive) on a polygon rendered using an Effect, I came to realize XNA 4.0 now uses pre-multiplied alpha.

After reading various websites, I found the solution to my problem, and have now got additive blending working properly :

[source lang="csharp"]BlendState state2 = new BlendState();state2.AlphaSourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha;state2.ColorSourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha;state2.AlphaDestinationBlend = Blend.One;state2.ColorDestinationBlend = Blend.One;[/source]

I am now trying to get the alpha to saturate whilst retaining the same colour : essentially additive alpha, and constant/replace colour. I tried using BlendFunction.Max, but for some reason, it does not seem to do anything at all.

In other words, by layering an alpha of 0.5 with an alpha of 0.5, I should be getting a final value of 1.0, which I then want to use as the alpha for my final colour : the new colour should fully replace the previous fragment (opaque).

I would have thought that this would have achieved the effect :

[source lang="csharp"]BlendState state3 = new BlendState();state3.AlphaBlendFunction = BlendFunction.Max;state3.AlphaSourceBlend = Blend.One;state3.ColorSourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha;state3.AlphaDestinationBlend = Blend.One; state3.ColorDestinationBlend = Blend.One;[/source]

Unfortunately, nothing happens at all. Basically, the effect I am trying to achieve is painting with alpha (to saturation/ additive), and replace/splat the colour. Instead I get this (notice the darker lines between the two green blobs when in fact they should be brighter)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Biosphere 2012-09-26 12-47-06-90.png

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS