• Create Account

Relief mapping on terrain issue

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 cod1   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi all, I just started extending unity's terrain system in order to achieve a visual effect as the one of Cryengine 3. So, the point is that tessellation is too expensive, parallax mapping isn't so good, but I just met a article of FABIO POLICARPO, teaching me relief mapping. However it works greatly on flat and curve meshes, but on the terrain it looks like that

Posted Image

On the right u can see relief mapping applyed to a flat plane, while on the right u can see the same mapping applyed to the terrain. What's wrong with that? It just look as the texture twirls around the camera, and also while moving it looks a little ugly...

Thanks for your time and please could u also explain me interval mapping? Thanks again

Sponsor:

#2 jefferytitan   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've been playing with (probably the same) relief mapping in Unity. I don't get the effect you are. I wonder whether you're using the wrong vector in your pixel shader, e.g. it's calculating it relative to a different camera position. Or possibly it has a hardcoded camera/lighting position because it's not designed for Unity. I recall I needed to make some changes.

#3 jefferytitan   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

Oh, I'll refer you to my thread in case there's anything relevant:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/628591-shader-limitations-and-best-practices/

#4 cod1   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

ok I solved it, here's a demo http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91501658/POM/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

however I still need to compute ray distance in order to create a LOD system and reduce impact on the gpu

PS have u got any suggestion to calculate occlusion?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS