• Create Account

[SFML] I Finished Pong! I Can't Believe It!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

#1 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

18Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I did it! Yes! I did it! I finished pong, and it works. I'm so happy! I just, can't believe it. I did it. Wow, after that much time, it's just amazing. Here's the project in visual studio: (Sorry, I don't know how to release it! If someone could message me on how to, I would be Happy :)
Project

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Sponsor:

#2 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

4Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I fixed it so the game ends automatically when the ball hits the top or bottom of the screen, and fixed the dropbox link :)
[Fixed] Project

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

#3 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3755

4Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Congratulations.

(Sorry, I don't know how to release it! If someone could message me on how to, I would be Happy

I don't use VS myself, but: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+deploy+vc%2B%2B

#4 Arthur Souza   Members   -  Reputation: 1418

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Theres a click once deployment feature that even has autoupdate! You can use it too directly to dropbox, so that we can download updates to stuff you put there, search for click once publish visual studio.

And gratz!

A.

Lotus - Action RPG In development http://www.gamedev.n...die-rpg-engine/ |
Personal blog In Portuguese: lotuzgames.wordpress.com |

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18739

1Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Congrats!
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#6 frazchaudhry   Members   -  Reputation: 1142

1Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Grats! Its always nice to finish what you started. Now you must be looking forward to your next project. :-)

#7 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8691

0Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

I did it! Yes! I did it! I finished pong, and it works. I'm so happy! I just, can't believe it. I did it. Wow, after that much time, it's just amazing.

It is only the beginning. You will be amazed at what you produce in a few months' time!! Congratulations.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#8 ByteTroll   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1340

1Likes

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Congrats!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I see the future in 1's and 0's
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

#9 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4187

3Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

Glad you made it! I'm going to try to make it myself someday.

Next project: Skyrim clone! Nah I'm joking :P

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#10 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

2Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Congrats. I suggest you try something a little more complicated next. Maybe Tetris-like.

#11 BrentChua   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1066

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Congratulations leveling up!

#12 Xirion   Members   -  Reputation: 255

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Congratulations!!, you've made the first step towards a new fascinating world.
Good luck on your trip Posted Image

#13 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Great Job man, I am always glad to hear when people succeed.

#14 GlenDC   Members   -  Reputation: 545

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Awesome man, always fun to create your first game.
Btw if you share a vs project then you can delete the following files:
  • debug
  • ipch
  • a big file with the extentsion .sdf
Good luck on your next project!

#15 EngineProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 295

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Gratz!

To change to release just click on:
Build -> Configuration Manager -> Click on 'Debug' change it to 'Release'. -> Rebuild your code which will create a new folder names Release.

If you want people to test your game when you have an .exe and image/sounds folders like you have now you can do this:
- Create a new folder on your desktop or anywhere you like: example "Pong_Game"
- Copy the .exe from the Release folder into your new folder: example "Pong_Game/Pong.exe"
- Copy your images/sounds/SFML/videos into your new folder: example "Pong_Game/Images/..."

Click on the .exe and you should be able to play your game. Posted Image If not, a folder has wrong placed wrong in the folder "Pong_Game".
So you don't need all the headers, cpp's, sdf, debug/release folder, ipch files. Those files aren't needed anyway to be able to play your game. Posted Image

~EngineProgrammer

#16 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

My problem is that I use the SFML library, and when I try to automatically link the .libs it gives me an error saying it can't find them. So it won'trelease my game.

#17 GameC++Expert93   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Congrats! this was also my first ever game i programmed mostly to get the grasp of c++ relating to game programming.

#18 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I just spent some time trying to get text working, but I have a problem:
I have a variable in my ball class that keeps the amountofhits, whenever I hit the paddle this increments. But, I don't know how to set my text equal to this variable:
MyString.SetText(variable);
doesn't work. Any Ideas?
(At the moment I am just displaying the number in the console.)

#19 GameC++Expert93   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

I just spent some time trying to get text working, but I have a problem:
I have a variable in my ball class that keeps the amountofhits, whenever I hit the paddle this increments. But, I don't know how to set my text equal to this variable:
MyString.SetText(variable);
doesn't work. Any Ideas?
(At the moment I am just displaying the number in the console.)

Is SetText a function u created or is it built into whatever game library ur using, if its one u created make sure ur returning the data properly in the function and that your function has the right datatype of string like this

class MyClass{
public:
string SetText();
};

im just assuming ur using a class this goes the same with plain old c++ functions though without a class declaration

Edited by GameC++Expert93, 28 September 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#20 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

It's an SFML Function of sf::String.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS