• Create Account

C++ for AAA game engines

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 sankrant   Members   -  Reputation: 121

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have started a new topic, partly because the older one was eaten up by flame war, and partly because, I want to know the expert likes of game engine developers. Note: This is not a poll. I expect people having a background in HIGH PERFORMANCE AAA *GAME ENGINES* ONLY, to give out their thoughts. (To *game programmers* and game logic programmers - Don't get C#, Java, lua in between).

C++ as we know of it, is used in AAA *Vedio Game Engines* primarily because (correct me) -:

-> Technical reasons » Higher performance, Lower latency overhead, Portability, native runtime.
-> SocioTechnical reasons » Large legecy-active codebase, Availability Of libraries (the libraries will be alwayas more mature), Availability of IDEs and mature documentation. Also many scripting languages in games have a good C api (like LUA, so added up to that codebase, is our higher level lua, python codebase).
-> Social reasons » People dislike it, when MS or Oracle owns a language, People already know C++, There are no direct competetors (and if some people think that Java/C# are, they are wrong. . . C# directly competes with lua, python for game logic)( here I exclusively talk about AAA game engines, so game logic programmers, dont take harm).

C++11 solves the issue of development time, concurrency and learning curve.

Considering this, what is your say on the future of C++? Don't you think, that C++ for at least game engines will be used as long as we have vedio game consoles? Don't you think that we are so much dependent on C++ that virtually we can't do (game engines) withought it?

This is for the game engine programmers only. . . So when we are talking about unity, then be aware that its writern in C++.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18556

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

I have started a new topic, partly because the older one was eaten up by flame war

At the time of my writing, there's nothing even remotely resembling a "flame war" in your previous topic; I'm actually surprised at just how smoothly it's been going thus far.

You don't need another topic for such a similar question while the other one is still going smoothly -- ask your additional question in that topic.

Anyone interested in responding, please do in the other topic: "Some newbies (like me) do love to code in C++".

Edited by jbadams, 28 September 2012 - 05:55 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS