• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Code Help - My First Roadblock

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hey gamedev'ers,

I am have a lot of problems on my XNA 4.0 project. I am trying to have my texture flip horizontally when I the directional value changes. Can any one give me a hint with out directly telling me what to do. I know it's simple but I can't seem to figure it out. I think it has something to do with the update. Any advice?

-This is My SirHero Class

[source lang="csharp"]using System;using System.Collections.Generic;using System.Linq;using System.Text;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;namespace ProjectGasllightKnights { class SirHero { Vector2 position; Vector2 direction; float heroSpeed = 10f; KeyboardState keyboardState; GamePadState gamePadState; Texture2D texture; Rectangle screenBounds; public SirHero(Texture2D texture, Rectangle screenBounds) { this.texture = texture; this.screenBounds = screenBounds; SetInStartPosition(); } public void Update() { direction = Vector2.Zero; keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState(); gamePadState = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One); //If player Press A on keyboard or Left game pad, set their movemnt negative direction if (keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.A) || keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Left) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.DPadLeft) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.LeftThumbstickLeft)) { direction.X = -1; } //If player press D on keyboard or right on gamepad set their movement in the postive direction if (keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D) || keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Right) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.DPadRight) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.RightThumbstickRight)) { direction.X = 1; } //Movement Direction direction.X = heroSpeed * direction.X; // Actually Move the Texture position += direction; //Check to see if the texture has gone out of bounds LockHero(); } private void LockHero() { //Don't Let Sir Hero run off the screen if (position.X < 0) { position.X = 0; } if (position.X + texture.Width > screenBounds.Width) { position.X = screenBounds.Width - texture.Width; } } public void SetInStartPosition() { position.X = (screenBounds.Width - texture.Width) / 2; position.Y = screenBounds.Height - texture.Height; } public void Draw(SpriteBatch spriteBatch) { spriteBatch.Draw(texture, position, Color.White); } public Rectangle GetBounds() { return new Rectangle( (int)position.X, (int)position.Y, (texture.Width), (texture.Height)); } } }[/source]

This is my Game1 class.
[source lang="csharp"]sing System;using System.Collections.Generic;using System.Linq;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media;namespace ProjectGasllightKnights { /// <summary> /// This is the main type for your game /// </summary> public class Game1 : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game { GraphicsDeviceManager graphics; SpriteBatch spriteBatch; Rectangle screenRectangle; SirHero playerCharcater; Texture2D mTexture; public Game1() { graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this); Content.RootDirectory = "Content"; graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 600; graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 750; screenRectangle = new Rectangle(0, 0, graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth, graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight); } /// <summary> /// Allows the game to perform any initialization it needs to before starting to run. /// This is where it can query for any required services and load any non-graphic /// related content. Calling base.Initialize will enumerate through any components /// and initialize them as well. /// </summary> protected override void Initialize() { // TODO: Add your initialization logic here base.Initialize(); } /// <summary> /// LoadContent will be called once per game and is the place to load /// all of your content. /// </summary> protected override void LoadContent() { spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice); Texture2D tempTexture = Content.Load<Texture2D>("SirHero"); playerCharcater = new SirHero(tempTexture, screenRectangle); StartGame(); } private void StartGame() { playerCharcater.SetInStartPosition(); } /// <summary> /// UnloadContent will be called once per game and is the place to unload /// all content. /// </summary> protected override void UnloadContent() { // TODO: Unload any non ContentManager content here } /// <summary> /// Allows the game to run logic such as updating the world, /// checking for collisions, gathering input, and playing audio. /// </summary> /// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param> protected override void Update(GameTime gameTime) { // Allows the game to exit if (GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).Buttons.Back == ButtonState.Pressed) this.Exit(); playerCharcater.Update(); // TODO: Add your update logic here base.Update(gameTime); } /// <summary> /// This is called when the game should draw itself. /// </summary> /// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param> protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime) { GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue); spriteBatch.Begin(); playerCharcater.Draw(spriteBatch); spriteBatch.End(); // TODO: Add your drawing code here base.Draw(gameTime); } } }[/source]

Yeah, I am pretty sure it has to do something with update or maybe draw. Any advice would be appreciated. Like i said I don't want the answer to my problem, just some pointers or hints in the right direction.

Edited by mistervirtue, 28 September 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

2Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

SpriteBatch.Draw has a parameter, SpriteEffects, that can be inserted into one of the overloads to handle simple sprite flipping. It also has a rotation value if you need it. Bear in mind rotation is typically done in Radians, not Degrees.

Edited by Haps, 28 September 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#3 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

0Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

So I got this far
[source lang="csharp"]SpriteEffects myFlip = SpriteEffects.None// Code and Stuff // //If player Press A on keyboard or Left game pad, set their movemnt negative direction if (keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.A) || keyboardState.IsKeyDown(Keys.Left) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.DPadLeft) || gamePadState.IsButtonDown(Buttons.LeftThumbstickLeft)) { direction.X = -1; myFlip = SpriteEffects.FlipVertically; } else { myFlip = SpriteEffects.None; }[/source]
But still can't get SirHero to turn in my game. I don't know how to implement myFlip in to the draw,

#4 yewbie   Members   -  Reputation: 665

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

But still can't get SirHero to turn in my game. I don't know how to implement myFlip in to the draw,

myFlip would be supplied as a argument to SpriteBatch.Draw()

Edited by yewbie, 28 September 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#5 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Check the MSDN entry for SpriteBatch.Draw and look for one of the overloads that uses SpriteEffects as a parameter - There's a few, and you'll need to figure them out to pick the one that's most relevant to what you need to do.

Where you have:
[source lang="csharp"]spriteBatch.Draw(texture, position, Color.White);[/source]
You will likely need something like:
[source lang="csharp"]spriteBatch.Draw(texture, position, null, Color.White, 0f, Vector2.Zero, 1f, myFlip, 0f);[/source]

You may notice there's a lot more information there. Refer back to the SpriteBatch.Draw page for a good understanding of what each one does. You'll end up needing to use them sooner or later!

#6 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well I haven't really changed my drawing code it's still the same. That is my problem I don't know how to pass myFlip in to my draw
[source lang="csharp"] public void Draw(SpriteBatch spriteBatch) { spriteBatch.Draw(texture, position, Color.White); }[/source]

#7 yewbie   Members   -  Reputation: 665

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Mistervirtue were you able to get it working using Haps advice?

#8 mistervirtue   Members   -  Reputation: 590

1Likes

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

ALL RIGHT! WE ARE BACK IN ACTION Gamedev'ers! Thanks for all your help! It totally worked. I had never seen some like Haps stuff. But I get my research on and get better! LET'S DO THIS!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS