• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

HTML Escape Sequences and Preview Post

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Slavik81   Members   -  Reputation: 360

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

I was typing a response that involved C++ template syntax in a code block, and discovered when I posted that the < and > symbols (and everything between them) had all been removed. I discovered that you could use escape codes to cause the characters to appear correctly and edited those into my post.

Unfortunately, hitting 'preview post' replaces escaped characters with unescaped characters. Thus, hitting 'preview post' twice in a row will result in two different-looking previews, as the second time the now-unescaped characters will be removed. 'preview post' changing what your post will look like upon submit is most certainly a bug.

Could you just automatically replace symbols like < with their escape sequences upon submit? I think the entire rest of your system would work well enough with just that. And it doesn't do anything a user couldn't do themselves, so it could not possibly be a security issue.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS