• Create Account

Visualization of Corner-point grids

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 maximspb   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi guys

Sorry for a stupid question, first of all. I would like to visualize a "corner-point grids" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner-point_grid) model using OpenGL only, but looks like it's not so obvious as I thought before :) .
Typical model looks like this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, am I right in thinking, that OpenGL doesn't provide "hidden surface removal" solutions and I have to implement all that stuff on CPU (I mean all that terible words : BSP trees, z-buffers, painter's algoritms etc) instead of using my GPU?

Or may be someone can give me advice how to visualize such models, that would be really cool :)

Thanks,
Maxim

Sponsor:

#2 apatriarca   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1475

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I think depth buffers (what you call z-buffers) are available in OpenGL since version 1.0. You can also enable backface culling to automatically discard faces which are not oriented toward the camera. If these operations aren't enough for your application, you still have to implement other hidden surface removal solutions by yourself (not necessarily on the CPU though).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS