• Create Account

Multiplayer using bluetooth possible?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Allpowerfool   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I've read some bluetooth chat tutorials, and looked at the information on the android developement site. I'm not very familiar with bluetooth though, I'm not sure what the range is, How dificult it would be to pair the two phones, for instance could I just do the pairing in my code or would they have to pair first, or can you even pair two phones that way?

Thats a lot more questions than I planned on writing, ha ha. My game isn't really far enough a long to start this, I was just curious about it.

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21135

0Likes

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Bluetooth is essentially a direct serial connection, much like a modem connection. For a direct player-to-player game it could work reasonably.

The range depends on the devices, but can easily be 10 meters or more.

I have never done Bluetooth pairing on Android. It wasn't too difficult on either WinCE or on Palm, I don't imagine it being very hard on Android.

You might have better or worse luck with WiFi Direct. Bluetooth is slower than WiFi and pairing is an error-prone manual task.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Allpowerfool   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

[edit] Thank you for your help.

I thought with Wifi you would have to go through a router to connect. Can you connect directly through Wifi?

Edited by Allpowerfool, 29 September 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS