• Create Account

Voxel Marching Cubes Questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lloydg   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hey everyone, I have a few things I would like some advice on before I start this project.

I want to build a voxel based terrain engine that can be dynamically altered. I have experimented with marching cubes before and made some meshes and such in OpenGL and C++ but only basic stuff.

My aims for what I want to do is is have the terrain optimized (my old stuff would slow down real fast), The map / terrain data needs to small and at some point hopefully be able to be streamed to clients.

The terrain needs to be able to altered by the user.

I will be using XNA 4.0

Okay, So the first question is about storing the terrain data / volumetric data... I think I should be using chunks and or an Oct tree.
Normally when I have implemented an Oct tree I have used it for collision and such.. But for the voxels I would be using it to save memory for example for large areas of the same id type like air.

Would I use just chunks? or chunks that each are a Oct tree?

With XNA how is the best way of dynamically creating the meshes for each chunk? Is a content pipeline the wrong way to go because it cant be used dynamically? MeshBuilder class cant be used dynamically from what I have read?

How should I store the terrain data? With XNA? if i want to stream it later will should it be in a SQL database of some sort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced, Lloyd.

Sponsor:

#2 oldgregg   Members   -  Reputation: 231

0Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'd be interested in any responses you'd get here. I'm in a not to dissimilar position myself.
:)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS