Should I give up?

Started by
32 comments, last by azonicrider 11 years, 6 months ago
I'm currently developing a game with Perl and SDL, but I've lost motivation for a reason.

I've realized it will be quite hard to distribute the game. I have to somehow include Strawberry Perl and SDL in the installation wizard, and I would be surprised if I could get that to work error-less. Even then, the Strawberry Perl package is quite big, and the file size will probably throw-off users.

Do you think I should convert to a language thats pre-installed in computers, to not deal with this? (such as C)

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

Advertisement
No matter what language you use, there is always something that has to be distributed with it.

With C/C++ programs, you'll have to distribute the proper library DLLs and make sure the user has the right version of the C/C++ runtime installed. Then there are video card drivers. The DirectX user redistributable, etc...

So nothing will change. Just the name of the language!
In most games the game data will end up MUCH bigger than any runtime/exes anyway so its generally a non-issue size wise.

No matter what language you use, there is always something that has to be distributed with it.

With C/C++ programs, you'll have to distribute the proper library DLLs and make sure the user has the right version of the C/C++ runtime installed. Then there are video card drivers. The DirectX user redistributable, etc...

So nothing will change. Just the name of the language!

I see what you are saying, but I'm not sure it's strictly always true, it depends on the type of game / app you are writing, and the market (think e.g. casual games, apps, versus AAA games).

If you write c / c++ and statically link to the runtimes, there are no dependencies due to the language, only core OS dlls (which will always be present).

The need for more and more sprawling dependencies is up to you, your choice of language / tech and what third party stuff you decide to pull in. (Sometimes you can statically link to third party stuff though).

I think azonicrider is right to an extent .. end users are easily put off installing stuff. If your game needs a 15 minute download from a third party and separate installation just to run, they'll probably move on. I know I do. If I see a 'your java needs to be updated' or flash or whatever, I'm like 'forget it'. So there is a good argument for considering your market before deciding what dependencies to rely on.
Check out some of the games you can buy on Steam. There are Flash games, Unity games, XNA games, even a couple written in Java in addition to all the normal native code apps. If you make a fun game it doesn't matter the technology used or the amount of pre-reqs that need to be installed for it. That kind of thing only runs the first time you play the game.
I for one automatically install Flash/C++ Redistribuable/DirectX/.NET/Java and even XNA redistribuables when installing a new PC. I would think twice about installing a "Strawberry Perl" package that I never heard about though.

I think azonicrider is right to an extent .. end users are easily put off installing stuff. If your game needs a 15 minute download from a third party and separate installation just to run, they'll probably move on. I know I do. If I see a 'your java needs to be updated' or flash or whatever, I'm like 'forget it'. So there is a good argument for considering your market before deciding what dependencies to rely on.
Yep you understood what I meant. I doubt distributing the Strawberry Perl folder is enough, its more than likely having to use the Perl exe, then Command Prompting the 5 minute SDL installation.

Do you think I should convert to a language thats pre-installed in computers, to not deal with this? (such as C)

Find out what's needed to make an installer first. Maybe you can even make a folder that contains everything you need without an installer, it's worth a shot. There are probably people that have done a game with it before, try the IRC channel mentioned here: http://sdl.perl.org/

If it doesn't work or gets too big and complicated, then yes it's probably a good idea to try out another language. Already being familiar with SDL should help you use it from C easier.
Yea I won't give up yet. I bet I could mickey-mouse a Wizard together, that includes the bare essentials I need from the Strawberry package, and my game files.

I've found out that SDL is just a module folder, so I don't need to worry about retrieving that from CPAN(the Perl network) using Command Prompt.

It's possible, in C#, to embed .dlls in your application and have no need for separate installs (theoretically). Perhaps you could look into that idea for Perl?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement