• Create Account

Freedom Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 383

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hey guys, have you heard about the Freedom Engine?

I am sorry if this falls under advertisement.
I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to get a feedback from anyone that has already tested it.

Edited by kuramayoko10, 01 October 2012 - 10:02 AM.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

Sponsor:

#2 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3042

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke) they lost me at web based IDE.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2109

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Its scripted in basic, i have a feeling that it was one of those ugly languages which look like winapi. Not sure though...

I wouldnt like the feeling of having all my code and tools possibly disappear because their server caught fire.
The lack of awesome free resource gathering building sandbox games capable of running an user made 8 bit computer in the world disturbs me.

#4 Koobazaur   Members   -  Reputation: 684

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke) they lost me at web based IDE.

Frankly, we could use some good HTML5 game engines. Making a game on HTML5 is a nightmare right now, with all the different hacks needed to make sure it works on all browsers and platforms at a semi-decent speed (at least until the next android/ios upgrade). Having a single engine/framework to wrap it all away would be nice.

There are a few rudimentary out there already, but still too early to be viable IMHO.

EDIT: looked at the samples and eh.. basic? really?

Edited by Koobazaur, 02 October 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Postmortem: one must die -  Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

#5 azonicrider   Members   -  Reputation: 416

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

It seems quite fishy, why are they offering all this stuff for free. Nevermind, theres ads on the IDE.

I don't know if BASIC is a mickey-mouse language, but otherwise, I don't frown upon this concept at all.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

#6 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 1573

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

It seems quite fishy, why are they offering all this stuff for free. Nevermind, theres ads on the IDE.

Wait, so their business plan is to embed advertisements in the IDE, targetted at developers? Holy niche market, batman!

Yeah.... that's a really bad business plan. When the Freedom Engine team figures that out, I suspect they'll have to drop their development efforts and support for the product. As a developer, would you want to work on a platform which may have an expiration date? Sounds a bit risky to me... But, maybe I just misunderstand what they're doing...

Eric Nevala

Currently a self-employed indie game dev

#7 azonicrider   Members   -  Reputation: 416

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

No wait I found more. For $5 a month, you get a whooping 250mb storage.
You can just save all your project files to your 5 GB Google Drive account, in spirit of their "developing games on the cloud" concept.

Edited by azonicrider, 03 October 2012 - 10:49 AM.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

#8 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke)

hype joke how?
html5 is/will be huge

#9 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

If Bob were an avid programmer, he'd know he could just host his repository on Github, Bitbucket, or Google Code. He'd also have a development environment he's comfortable with, and he'd make use of a lot of free tools out there.

Unless Bob is horrible masochist who crams everything inside of 10 megabytes and probably keeps a bunch of weird spears and swords and whips and chains in the shed in his backyard where two people went missing last week.

(edit: Removed a comment about writing on a smart phone because it didn't really make sense.)

Edited by Heath, 03 October 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#10 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3042

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

If they hadn't lost me at HTML5 (the next big hype joke)

hype joke how?
html5 is/will be huge

It theoretically has the potential. In practise it's a patchwork of lots of different parts that are at most randomly implemented in different browsers. Browser forks are a highly required feature, which should not be required at all.

They should've seriously done away with HTML alltogether (it isn't used at all as it was intended initially, just content that is displayed somehow) and created something new from scratch for all the designopaths. In the end we'll arrive at Flash again, only 5 years later with the performance of 10 years ago. That's huge?
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#11 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 451

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

(edit: Removed a comment about writing on a smart phone because it didn't really make sense.)

What did you mean it didn't really make sense? Are you forgotten PocketC, PocketBasic, and numerous other write pocketpc apps on pocketpc itself of the yesteryear? Or was you talking about something else...? Posted Image
Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#12 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 383

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

If Bob were an avid programmer, he'd know he could just host his repository on Github, Bitbucket, or Google Code. He'd also have a development environment he's comfortable with, and he'd make use of a lot of free tools out there.

I don't think they aim substitute Version Control systems. I was seeing this as a new way of distributing your game/software.

No wait I found more. For $5 a month, you get a whooping 250mb storage.
You can just save all your project files to your 5 GB Google Drive account, in spirit of their "developing games on the cloud" concept.

Yes, their profit relies on people buying more space storage.
Even if you have your project on Google Drive, if you are going to distribute it using their service, you will have to make it available on their servers.

I think that this engine is more about being a Virtual Machine on the Cloud. I think that it will get your code, compile it on their servers, send to the user's platform the package ready to be executed.

P.S.: I will not enter this HTML5 vs Flash discussion. I wasn't expecting this kind of discussion here =/
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#13 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14974

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

The first thing I heard when listening to the video was, "And Freedom Engine is FREE with no upfront costs..." [link]
So there are non-upfront costs? After you code the game, which is saved on their servers, when ready to publish suddenly you find out that there are fees or that they take x percent of the revenue? Do they own anything written using their site? Better check the EULA. [/paranoid]

The second thing I noticed, which others have already mentioned, is you only get 10mb for free. Does that include art assets? Posted Image
I was just mentioning in another thread, how DropBox gives 2GB for free, and you can easily get another 6GB for free.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 05 October 2012 - 01:40 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#14 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

This looks looks like Python had a train wreck with Jcode ... the language is simplistic enough, but what is the final output when you run the game / app ? Flash ? Some version of HTML5 ? C# ? All of them?
It's very nice to know the compatibility of your final product, with your target audience.

The 10 MB of storage does seem like a gimmick, to force folks to buy more space to produce, however there have been MANY great games produced on Newgrounds that were under 10 MB ...

Edited by Shippou, 05 October 2012 - 02:32 PM.

My YouTube Channel Filled With Geek, Nerd, Politics, Economics, & More !  
[Click Here]

#15 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 451

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

They are using Basic because they want to capitalize on their user base who now outgrow Dark Basic Pro.

Hobbyist have now changed from "want to create the next doom or quake" to "want to create the next angry bird or temple run".

You can say that these are the cloud version of their AppGameKit.

Talk about size, I really wish ipad user was given cloud backup space as large as their ipad size, eg: people who buy 32 gb version will get 32 gb online space, etc. this will make their user very happy, specially at the price they are selling. but i guess they want to monitize back-up.

back to this engine, they have to monitize this one way or the other. and as one poster mentioned, there is a lot of fun games around 10 mb, they really need to set around that size before making money :-)
Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#16 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

That's huge?

I saw a survey from a year ago
Of the top100 websites ~1/3 were using html5, todays its prolly >half
in a year or two >90%

Now *thats* huge, it will be inescapable

#17 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 778

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

That's huge?

I saw a survey from a year ago
Of the top100 websites ~1/3 were using html5, todays its prolly >half
in a year or two >90%

It's not a finished standard yet. That's probably the largest argument against it atm. Given that and the amount of alternatives, I'm holding off on html5 en masse. Could be the future, may not be. As I have no ideas requiring html5 atm, I'll wait it out and bet on my horse after the race is over.

#18 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

It's not a finished standard yet. That's probably the largest argument against it atm. Given that and the amount of alternatives

languages are revised all the time, theres a lot of language alternatives eg C++/C#/java etc so does this make any of those less valid?
I notice the first tag on this webpage is a HTML5 tag! true they prolly didnt need to use html5 to make this site but they do, this is what I mean html5 is prolly more ubiquitous than you realize eg one of the best things of html5 is the client side storage but its not in your face like say fancy video/sound.

#19 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 778

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

languages are revised all the time, theres a lot of language alternatives eg C++/C#/java etc so does this make any of those less valid?

C++/C#/Java all have approved standards. C++ doesn't really need a standard from a deployment pov as it's compiled, but I'd make a similar argument for non-standardized versions of C#/Java.

#20 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I was saying theres a lot of various programming languages (C++/java etc) which I assume you believe is good,
as you were implying we dont need html5 since there are alternatives (not many, flash perhaps? what else), so why should this be any different.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS