• Create Account

Advice for Graduation Project game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 yayoelmasry   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

I am interested in the field of AI in gaming. I am currently searching for a game of certain criteria to apply some machine learning techniques on.
The criteria I think most appropriate are:-

* Two rivals / teams
* Has small environment
* Has no levels / missions.

Any suggestions about the game? what genre do you recommend? What language best fits such game? etc,,,

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 EngineProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 295

0Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

A genre that has 2 teams, small environment and no levels looks like an RTS for me.

- Creates barracks that automatic spawn creatures to the other base ( the stronger the creature, the more time it takes to spawn ).
- The creatures follow the shortest path.
- Put some environment in your map so you, as player, need to build your barracks on a good spot so your creatures will reach the other side faster.
- Get some economics in it so you need to balance out your base with barracks <-> income. Smart building means more chance to win!

The fact you are asking what language best fits means you know basics of different languages or just don't know a single programming language.
What language you should take depends on yourself. I like programming in C++ because it has no limits.
Java is written in C++, don't uses a stack, so only heap for every object.
I don't know anything about other languages. Posted Image

~EngineProgrammer

#3 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

0Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Or a competitive puzzle game - Come up with a simple, fun-to-play rule system and look at different ways for the AI to evaluate their moves. That way you can focus on developing a challenging (but not all-knowingly impossible,) group of opponents that specialize in different strategies. Tweaking them for personality as opposed to ruthlessness will help you design believable AI that are satisfying for users to play against, an important goal for a game AI designer.

I'd say whatever language you're comfortable with already should be used, that way you can cut down on your development time without having to learn something new. Nearly any language can be used for simple puzzles - Python, C#, Java, or JavaScript might be good options for ease of use.

#4 jefferytitan   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1706

1Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Another suggestion is a fighting game, e.g. Street Fighter. I'm not sure whether Street Fighter has been done yet, but here's something similar: http://www.masterbaboon.com/2009/05/my-ai-reads-your-mind-and-kicks-your-ass-part-2/

Also there have been Quake bot competitions, which could suit your needs on a small level.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS