• Create Account

How does making Online Multiplayer games work?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigbadbear9885   Members   -  Reputation: 177

0Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

A get the process of making a game meant to for single player, no online interaction at all.

But I have no idea at all how it works to make games with Online multiplayer.

Is it a completely different subject?

If I made a game, and I wanted it to be able to be played online with other people, what exactly would I have to do? or if I wanted to hire someone to take care of that, what would be the name of the kind of person I'd want to hire for that. Is there anything I'd have to be responsible for, such as changing the code of the Game and adding the online multiplayer environment?

Alot of times I've seen these expensive devices called Servers, but I don't understand what they do, but I feel like its got something to do with this.
Is it something I would have to have to do this?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just wanted to understand it as much as possible.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7130

1Likes

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Adding multiplayer capacity to an existing single player game is quite challenging if you don't design your game with multiplayer in mind. But it depends really on your game. If you are still in the process of learning game development, it would be a good idea to make first a single player game and consider multiplayer once you have enough experiences. Once you are ready, you can develop the next version of your game with multiplayer support.

#3 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6060

1Likes

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

A get the process of making a game meant to for single player, no online interaction at all.

But I have no idea at all how it works to make games with Online multiplayer.

Is it a completely different subject?

If I made a game, and I wanted it to be able to be played online with other people, what exactly would I have to do? or if I wanted to hire someone to take care of that, what would be the name of the kind of person I'd want to hire for that. Is there anything I'd have to be responsible for, such as changing the code of the Game and adding the online multiplayer environment?

Alot of times I've seen these expensive devices called Servers, but I don't understand what they do, but I feel like its got something to do with this.
Is it something I would have to have to do this?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just wanted to understand it as much as possible.

To make a networked multiplayer game (where each player plays on their own computer) you need a way to send messages between those computers, this is normally done using sockets http://en.wikipedia..../Network_socket for a client/server networked game you basically have to:

1) Have your client open a socket and connect to the server.
2) Have your server open a socket and listen for connections.
3) Have the clients send all relevant information to the server.
4) Have the server process the information and send new information back to the clients.

a server is not necessarily a expensive device, it is just a computer that has one or more applications running on it that allow clients to connect to it, The expensive ones are intended to be used by hundreds or even thousands of users at the same time and thus need quite a bit of hardware compared to a normal desktop computer. (Exactly how much hardware you need depends on what the users are going to do with the server)

Edited by SimonForsman, 02 October 2012 - 12:54 AM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS