• Create Account

Matrix solving program

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 gritchie   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hello everyone.

I was starting to make a program to solve the determinant of any nxn matrix.(just for the practice) I was wanting to use a class so I could practice using them. My question is should I use a data field for the size of the matrix and were would I start making my array (which i think would be the best way to make a matrix). I know I need to declare my array, I'm just not sure exactly where I should do that.

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13331

0Likes

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

"Solving" a matrix or a determinant doesn't mean anything. You can solve a system of linear equations (which can be expressed in matrix form) and you can compute a determinant. Precise language does matter for math, so try to learn to use the way people express these things.

This is how I would start a Matrix class:
#include <vector>

class Matrix {
  int size;
  std::vector<double> m;

public:
  Matrix(int size) : size(size), m(size*size) {
  }

double &operator()(int row, int col) {
	return m[row * size + col];
  }

double operator()(int row, int col) const {
  }
};

If the size of the matrix will be known at compile time, you have the option of using templates instead:
template <int size>
class Matrix {
  double m[size*size];

public:
  double &operator()(int row, int col) {
  }

double operator()(int row, int col) const {
  }
};

Edited by alvaro, 03 October 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS