• Create Account

CPU Load Utility

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3793

0Likes

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I've come across a testing situation where a slow computer should be simulated.
I know that I could do this with a VM, but I'm lazy, and I don't want to have to
install and configure an entire development environment on a VM if there is a tool that
would let me slow down the CPU and chew up RAM to simulate a slower computer.

I've Googled for apps, but some of them look a little skeevy, and since I'm at work,
I'd prefer to use a recommended one.

Any suggestions for this kind of thing?

Thanks,
I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8286

0Likes

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

What about running LinX using all your computer cores and memory, that should do it. Note it'll heat up your processor - obviously - so if you have a bad cooling system, make sure it doesn't overheat.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 Adam_42   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2419

1Likes

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Your best option is to test with real hardware, I'd recommend looking round for hardware with the right performance that you can borrow for testing. You don't need to install a full development environment on it - build on your normal PC and copy the exe + data over to the test PC (or share them on the network so no copying is required). You might want to install a profiler on the slow PC, although profiling results should be comparable with the fast PC for most programs (i.e. it'll run slower, but the same bits of code will usually be slowest on both).

Trying to simulate a slow PC on a fast one is not going to give results that are accurate, and will make profiling awkward. The only thing I'd consider doing to simulate a slow PC is locking your program's affinity to a limited number of CPU cores with task manager.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS