• Create Account

So... we can get rep in the Lounge after all...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional (I'm assuming bug), but I got +5 rep when Alpha_ProgDes followed/starred/whatever-it's-called my Lounge thread "Today's xkcd". You can see the event in my rep history on Sep 20 2012 01:14 PM (about page 3 of my rep history). Thought I'd mention it in case this isn't intentional.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8316

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

I support this thread. *follows the thread*

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I support this thread. *follows the thread*

Score. +5 rep for me!
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2710

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

So this also works when I answer? Because I have set to automatically follow any thread I answer so I get email notification.

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

So this also works when I answer? Because I have set to automatically follow any thread I answer so I get email notification.

Hmmm... nothing happened. Also, in my "Today's xkcd" thread, Servant of the Lord followed it but there was no +5 rep when he followed it.

#6 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

There clearly are some quirks in the rep system. I just got a +1 by logging in, after I got a +1 for logging in 2 hours ago.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying, it's quirky. :P

#7 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

I believe the once per day requirement for logging in resets for everyone simultaneously.. which may not necessarily be at midnight. You may have logged in at the end of one "day" period and the start of another. Remember, we have people across all time zones..

#8 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I figured it was something like that. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS