• Create Account

Zonorian

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13 AM

These are some screenshots of a project I have been working on in my spare time. It's called Zonorian, and its a retro 'massive' online action RPG. The aim is to support about a hundred (bute hopefully more) online players in a persistent world. All players share this world, in which they can go on quests, battle monsters and bosses, collect loot and fight each other. The game is influenced by classics such as Ultima and Dransik. I intend to add all the features that you'd expect from modern RPGs, but keep the retro look.

The game is currently in closed beta testing, but anyone interested can join! See www.zonorian.com for more information!

Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

#2 valles   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

The game looks very pretty. Like Ultima 5, but much nicer to look at. Is there a website?

#3 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Thanks! The website is at www.zonorian.com, send me a message if you want to give the game a try, I'll send you the required stuff!

#4 simast   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

Very cool, I love that old-school style. The first thing I thought when I saw that screen was Dransik (even the UI "borders" are somewhat inspired by that game).

#5 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Thanks! You are right, I was very much inspired by Dransik. I'm trying to maintain that old-school style that I love, but include more modern RPG features. I think it makes for a nice combination, and hopefully a fun game to play as well!

#6 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

I see Graphics from Dransik in this... Nice HoS/HoA..... I sure hope you got the original Artists rights for that XD

#7 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for looking at the pictures so closely! I can assure you that it is all original artwork though. Granted, some stuff might look a little like Dransik, but that's to be expected in a game of this style.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

It look's like you added a pixel to the top of the HoS.... o.O than again I am not a Graphic's Artist ;)

Look forward to seeing how this project goes, since the last one that tried done well but failed after the developer got greedy... then it had been sold off multiple times :P

Anyway good luck with the project.

#9 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I might take it out, it does look a lot like it. I suppose the artist also played Dransik. Anyway, you are welcome to try the game, just send me a message!

#10 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

I will do, there is no need to take it out :) I was merely point out how close it was to dranik's, maybe once you have it up for open alpha/beta have it replaced with a different image(group of).

It is nice to see some one pull this off using java alone. One minor question I have is, what are you using for the scripting language? and have you had any major problem's in the coding of it? (Such as one of Loth's early bug's; being able to buy negative amount's of stackables... which as you know will result in you gaining a ton of money (to a point of course ;))), and the Dransik clone: Vorlia's problem being if you gain too much exp it turn's negative and start's to remove over all xp (never fully tested this to see if it removed it from the skill xp :< )

Sorry for the random post... I should make an account on here since I check it daily -.-; lols.

anyway once again good luck with this and hopefully I'll see it in full swing some point in the near future :)

#11 Dennieh   Members   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm using Groovy for scripting. It's a scripting language that runs on the JVM, so it performs just as well as regular Java code. And, because it's running on the JVM it's very easy to integrate, no messing with creating bindings and such.

I've had some similar issues, at one point if you bought a whole lot of a very expensive item, the cost would actually flip, and you'd get money for buying stuff. Fun stuff! :)

#12 SephiGast   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ah, sorry for the random question, I have actually never worked with java, other than helping one of my friend's with his uni work (he was converting A* from c++ to java (though I was sure there is a java rendition XD))

And yea I've encountered those problems a few times, though as mention the dransik "money" bug was amusing, and it was it that lead to you being unable to buy more than 50 stackables at any given time (minus sold item's whcih stuck to 10 (always found that weird)).

I must agree though, having bug's to find it always fun, it's the fixing them that is the pain XD, though depending on how severe the bug is.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS