• Create Account

skeletal animation

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 v71   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 13 October 2001 - 10:29 AM

Hi everyone, i''m currently working on skeletal animation and looking around i have seen a lot of tutorial using thier own matrix multiplication, why ? isn''t more easyer to perform a translation and a multiplication using opengl commands ? is there a speed issue or what ? can anyone tell me ? thanks

Sponsor:

#2 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 13 October 2001 - 01:53 PM

Sometimes your own matrix routines can be a better idea for a certain situation... But if you can do with the OpenGL routines for translation/rotation... Then do it, as they are a much better choice.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

#3 MENTAL   Members   -  Reputation: 382

Posted 14 October 2001 - 04:46 AM

not all cards support hardware matrix ops, meaning they use software which are damn slow. this is why a lot of routines use their own matrix functions which can be optimized in assembly. hell, even unoptimized matrix ops in software are better then OGL''s software ones .

MENTAL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS