• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Using type of element in a container as a parameter?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21159

0Likes

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I have the following code that won't compile:
template<class ContainerType>
void MyFunc(ContainerType &container, ContainerType::value_type fallback = ContainerType::value_type())

It will be passed something like an std::vector<> of unknown element-type.
I want it to take as the second parameter a variable of type 'element type of the container'.
I want the second parameter to default to "default initialized version of said type".

Isn't 'value_type' a standardized C++ container typedef? It's definitely present in the compiler I'm using (MinGW 4.6).

For example, if passing in a std::vector<int> into the function, it should be: std::vector<int>::value_type fallback = std::vector<int>::value_type(), which should be int fallback = int().

However, even before using the template, I get a compile error in any source files that #include the header with the templated function in it.

MinGW errors:
error: 'ContainerType::value_type' is not a type

(This is for: ContainerType::value_type fallback)

error: expected initializer before ')' token

(This is for: = ContainerType::value_type())

Why isn't ContainerType::value_type a type? std::vector<int>::value_type exists in the vector header.

I also tried this:
template<class ContainerType, class ElementType = ContainerType::value_type>
void MyFunc(ContainerType &container, ElementType fallback)

And got these errors:
error: expected type-specifier
error: expected '>'

Where is my thinking going awry?
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Sponsor:

#2 wqking   Members   -  Reputation: 756

2Likes

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

I think you missed typename before ContainerType::value_type

template <class ContainerType>

void MyFunc(ContainerType &container, typename ContainerType::value_type fallback = typename ContainerType::value_type())

Edited by wqking, 06 October 2012 - 11:34 PM.

http://www.cpgf.org/
cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.
v1.5.5 was released. Now supports tween and timeline for ease animation.

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21159

0Likes

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yep, thanks a bunch!
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS