• Create Account

Annoying error

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 laeuchli   Members   -  Reputation: 337

Posted 13 October 2001 - 10:43 AM

Hey, I have a sphere which I''m mapping a clould texture to. The sphere is around a planet object and for the most part looks fine. However, from some angles there are artifacts which are a little hard to explain, but look nasty(see www.laeuchli.com/jesse/error.gif). Could someone give me a hint on what I could be doing to be causing this?!? www.laeuchli.com/jesse/

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 13 October 2001 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

Using spheres with blending is somewhat tricky. Check out www.nvidia.com''s developer section. Theres a paper about correct (and incorrect) blending. In fact, you probably draw the polygons in the wrong order. When using blending, you must draw polygons further away *before* drawing those nearer. That is, if you stand in front of the window, you have to draw all the things behind the window first, and draw the window afterwards. Note that blending works directly at the graphic boards image buffer, therefore it can change only things which have been drawn already. For the same reason, blending is terribly slow.

Cheers
C

#3 laeuchli   Members   -  Reputation: 337

Posted 14 October 2001 - 05:28 AM

ok, thanks. BTW, if blending is really slow, should you not use it? If so, what else can one use?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS