• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

I feel so sad today: I was supposed to receive an email with the date of interview, my Gmail marked it as spam, and I was 4 days late

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

I cannot express my depression more than I can fathom.

I lost my chance to get an interview, all because of a stupid Gmail... When I found out about it, the interview was held on 10/3, I was 4 days late.

Now, I am officially poor.

God, I hate my luck.

End.

Sponsor:

#2 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2175

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

That's why I always take a look at the spam folder.

#3 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2796

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Lesson learned! I bet you won't make that mistake ever again.

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#4 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10121

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

what kind of job was it?

#5 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Let's calm down a bit.

Do not try to make an excuse and do not try to explain the spam problem to your contact from the company.
Give it a professional reply just to show that you are still alive and reapply to the job position.

If they liked your curriculum they will make a room for your interview.

I don`t know where you are from, but the companies where I live do not have a closed schedule for interviews and hiring. If you show good skills and is proactive they will hire you. Good IT people are always hard to find Posted Image

Edited by kuramayoko10, 07 October 2012 - 09:56 AM.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#6 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3919

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

I lost my chance to get an interview, all because of a stupid Gmail

It's not "all" because of gmail. Some of the blame lies on you. We all know that situations can occur where emails accidentally get flagged as spam, so if you're expecting an email to arrive and you don't think to check whether this has occurred, then the fault lies with both you and gmail.

#7 Arthur Souza   Members   -  Reputation: 1419

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

You will, in your career, have several cases of technical issues that cause you trouble, and will have to be professional about it. You'll have to deal with it.

Show yourself that you can do this, find a way to deal with this, don't make up excuses, get in contact with them, show that you care, and be a professional about it.

Good luck.

A.

Lotus - Action RPG In development http://www.gamedev.n...die-rpg-engine/ |
Personal blog In Portuguese: lotuzgames.wordpress.com |

#8 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Lesson learned! I bet you won't make that mistake ever again.

On another note, if you don't want to check spam, make sure to ask when you can expect to hear from them again whenever appropriate. Then you know when that day comes you can follow up with them and you should get a reply with the information.

Though I do back the position of emailing them again and apologizing to see if you might be able to interview some other time.

#9 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Having a bad day, are we? Well, it could be worse.

Posted Image

#10 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22246

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Let's calm down a bit.

Do not try to make an excuse and do not try to explain the spam problem to your contact from the company.
Give it a professional reply just to show that you are still alive and reapply to the job position.

If they liked your curriculum they will make a room for your interview.

I don`t know where you are from, but the companies where I live do not have a closed schedule for interviews and hiring. If you show good skills and is proactive they will hire you. Good IT people are always hard to find Posted Image

Agreed.

Contact them and simply state that you didn't get your email on time. You don't need to mention the spam folder or gmail problem. They are probably still interested and will likely give you the interview at a later date.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#11 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 575

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

By the time I had learned about my Gmail issue, I had responded immediately. The recipient responded to me saying the position had already been given, and that there will be another chance next year. I thanked the recipient again.

It's been almost a day after that happened, and yes, I learned a few valuable lessons just from this thread alone today. I'm probably going to have to live off my living funds my parents provided. I repent that decision twice in a while, so... yeah...

EDIT:

Again, thanks for the advices, felt better right now. I'll overcome this small fret, but I will wage a long war against my stomach.

Edited by tom_mai78101, 07 October 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#12 lawnjelly   Members   -  Reputation: 429

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

what kind of job was it?

It was a sales position for a company specializing in ***is extension pills.

Sorry, I'll get my coat. Posted Image

#13 GeneralQuery   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1263

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

On another note, if you don't want to check spam,

If he doesn't want to check his spam folder in future after this incident then he's on his own :D

#14 slmgc   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

I cannot express my depression more than I can fathom.

I lost my chance to get an interview, all because of a stupid Gmail... When I found out about it, the interview was held on 10/3, I was 4 days late.

Now, I am officially poor.

God, I hate my luck.

End.

Hey, don't be so sad!
Maybe it's all for good and you'll just get a much better proposition in a week or two ;)

P.S. If you think you have a bad luck, just watch the story of Jonny Kennedy.
P.P.S. Don't worry, be happy :)

#15 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1594

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

There is more than one job in the world and their are better things than jobs as well.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#16 ddn3   Members   -  Reputation: 1308

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

You were qualified enough to get the interview what has changed? If you got one before, does 4 days reduce your future earning potential any? Does a single company filling a single job reduce it in any way? We all have a run of bad luck through no fault of our own. That's just life, this isn't the last time you'll experience it. The best take away is there are some things you can change and there are some things beyond your ken, best focus on what u can affect. Good luck in the future!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS