Login Server - Best Practice

Started by
22 comments, last by KnolanCross 11 years, 6 months ago

Well that is one use of it, you can also use the two key method for verification of a user when accessing sites or resources. To access mypay.dfas.navy.mil you need the public key, saying you have CAC and you need the private key ( your pin ), I was simply trying to related to what his suggestion was.

In this case this second key you refer to is an authenticator? If it is, AFAIK, it is only a random number generator where you and the server you want to authenticate with have your seed, hence both know the generated number sequence.
The number generated by the authenticator is not used in the Public Key algorithm.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Advertisement

[quote name='riuthamus' timestamp='1349913650' post='4988906']
Well that is one use of it, you can also use the two key method for verification of a user when accessing sites or resources. To access mypay.dfas.navy.mil you need the public key, saying you have CAC and you need the private key ( your pin ), I was simply trying to related to what his suggestion was.

In this case this second key you refer to is an authenticator? If it is, AFAIK, it is only a random number generator where you and the server you want to authenticate with have your seed, hence both know the generated number sequence.
The number generated by the authenticator is not used in the Public Key algorithm.
[/quote]

Good to know, but that method, would or could be used... could it not? for the authentication process and keeping things legit from outside sources to the master server? Honestly, at this point the best option just might be to use greenlight and use the SDK backend from valve. The issue with that is the cut they get... I dont know how much that is and you dont really find out till you enter in deals with them. They already have the framework to provide something with stores, and steamworks, and other fun little things. I guess that is something I will have to look into. Thanks for the help, you both have been very informative.

I am curious if this is worth the effort:

• Purchase a webserver ( small for beginning tests )
  • Create code that allows the tracking of server stress
  • Create code that tracks unique hits
  • Create code that tracks client requests
  • Create code that when button pressed will launch and authentication request to the server
  • Release the site to many other sites to help test the stress level and load stability of the server

The goal of this would be to estimate the load a web server could handle and withstand. This would also give us an idea of how much of a server we would need based off of the reporting information it has. If our game is successful we could have upwards to 10,000 requests a second. Anyway, thoughts on how we could do this better? or things we should attempt to capture?

Is it worth the effort? Maybe not the tracking. Depending on the webserver software, it may already have request logging, so instead of tracking everything yourself in code, you could just parse the webserver log files. This could/should be done offline, at any time. There are probably open source projects out there for this task already.

[quote name='riuthamus' timestamp='1349808125' post='4988430']
I am curious if this is worth the effort:

• Purchase a webserver ( small for beginning tests )
  • Create code that allows the tracking of server stress
  • Create code that tracks unique hits
  • Create code that tracks client requests
  • Create code that when button pressed will launch and authentication request to the server
  • Release the site to many other sites to help test the stress level and load stability of the server

The goal of this would be to estimate the load a web server could handle and withstand. This would also give us an idea of how much of a server we would need based off of the reporting information it has. If our game is successful we could have upwards to 10,000 requests a second. Anyway, thoughts on how we could do this better? or things we should attempt to capture?

Is it worth the effort? Maybe not the tracking. Depending on the webserver software, it may already have request logging, so instead of tracking everything yourself in code, you could just parse the webserver log files. This could/should be done offline, at any time. There are probably open source projects out there for this task already.
[/quote]

Thanks, ill see what I can find.

[quote name='KnolanCross' timestamp='1349973223' post='4989152']
[quote name='riuthamus' timestamp='1349913650' post='4988906']

[/quote]

Good to know, but that method, would or could be used... could it not? for the authentication process and keeping things legit from outside sources to the master server? Honestly, at this point the best option just might be to use greenlight and use the SDK backend from valve. The issue with that is the cut they get... I dont know how much that is and you dont really find out till you enter in deals with them. They already have the framework to provide something with stores, and steamworks, and other fun little things. I guess that is something I will have to look into. Thanks for the help, you both have been very informative.
[/quote]

Yes it can be used. In this case either you will need a random generator and, for each registered user, a seed. At each request both the server and the user will generate a random number, if this number match (it should, since the seeds and the polynomial generator function are the same) you accept the request.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement