• Create Account

Great Games Under 10MB In Size ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1523

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

There seems to be a major misconception now-a-days that it is imposable to create a good game, unless it has a large file size.
I know that there are hundreds of old-school gamesthat are under 1 MB in size ( most of the largest NES game were under 500 KB ), but how many good games can you think of that have been made in the last 5 years, and are under 10 MB in size?

Right off the top of my head I can think of William And Sly 2, but I know there are many more.

Can you list more ?

Edited by Shippou, 11 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Sponsor:

#2 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 7346

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Actually, the largest licensed NES game was 6mbit, or 768KB (Kirby's dreamland), there was another game at 5mb (640KB), and many at 4mb (512KB). On the SNES, two games weighed in at 48mb, or 6 MB, (JRPGs Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean). The N64's largest cartridges were 512mb, or 64MB, (Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day).

In terms of cartridges you were always constrained by what was economical, you were told by the suits what size your ROM would be and you filled every bit of it. Then there were CDs, which were effectively infinite in size when they first came out. On the PC side, there was really never any hard constraint. The only one's concerned with size these days are people who have to deal with the arbitrary limits set by the various marketplaces (XBox Live Arcade or Indie Games, App Store, Google Play, PSN, etc), but all those are well north or 10MB.

Its worth mentioning that it wasn't precisely the size of the experience that kept those old school games small -- it was more the fidelity of the experience: Smaller graphics, less colors, and fewer frames of animation make for a rather effective lossy compression scheme. Sound was effectively stored as a series of commands (not unlike midi), or samples (not unlike MOD) in later years -- much more efficient than full WAV audio tracks, or even MP3s.

If you remade even Super Mario Bros. 1 today to meet contemporary standards for quality 2D graphics and audio, it'd probably end up being 3 orders of magnitude larger in terms of raw assets, and general-purpose compression might win back an order of magnitude or so -- so the final product might end up being 2 orders of magnitude larger: about 32mb, or 4MB.

In short, there's certainly a lot you can do with 10MB I agree, but in the light of a "modern" Super Mario Bros. being nearly half of that without specialized compression, it's no wonder so few games weigh in at under 10MB today.

#3 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2345

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

In 2009, Notch (of Minecraft fame) made a little game inspired by Left 4 Dead called L4kD.
As the title suggests it's under 4kb.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19520

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

The other concern of size is how fast it takes to download (especially for demos), even if there is no marketplace limit. 500 MB downloads quickly enough for a full game, but your demo should download ever faster. Patches and updates should download very fast too - users don't want a huge delay anytime they start your game so it can update.

Braid is 155 MB - it was released 4 years ago, as a downloadable-only title. For a commercial-quality game, unless you do procedural generation, you can't get too much better. As Ravyne mentioned, it's the quality of the content that weighs so much. Yes, you can make great games without high quality art - but the public wants high quality art, and complains (often irrationally) if your game looks poorly.

Some stats about my own WIP to-be-commercial 2D RPG:
- Release .exe and .dlls: 40.4 MB (Won't get much larger)
- 2D tileart: 27.5 MB (And not anywhere near finished - will get larger)
- Game world: 0 MB (Haven't created a single in-game area yet - still working on the editor)

The final result of my game, when I complete it, and after optimizing, will probably be around 150 MB. I'd like to fit it on a CD, but that just ain't possible it looks like.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

This reminded me of Java 4K.

Okay, the graphics are simple... but as the slogan says "Minimum Games, Maximum Fun".
Even if they don't fit a commerciral standard, I like this contest as a personal challenge. A challenge to achieve fun things at the simplistic level!
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#6 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8852

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

The final result of my game, when I complete it, and after optimizing, will probably be around 150 MB. I'd like to fit it on a CD, but that just ain't possible it looks like.

CD-ROM's are 700MB.. am I missing something? Or do you mean those smaller ones like those driver disks that get shipped with hardware?

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19520

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

*smacks forehead*
Yes, that's right. My plan (a year ago) was to fit it on a tiny 52MB "business-card" style disc, just for style. Posted Image
But I'll have to put it on a regular CD, which, you're right, are 700MB. I had forgotten the exact details of what my intent was, and got confused.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#8 Green_Gill   Members   -  Reputation: 139

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Every single game I plan on making.

#9 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I just uploaded one a couple of days ago to the apple app store 6.4 mb it was
the reason games are so big today is media eg in the old days u have sprites of 16x16 or 32x32 pixels in 8 bit color or less aka less than 1 kb, imagine that today having the main character come in at under 1kb

#10 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

*smacks forehead*
Yes, that's right. My plan (a year ago) was to fit it on a tiny 52MB "business-card" style disc, just for style. Posted Image
But I'll have to put it on a regular CD, which, you're right, are 700MB. I had forgotten the exact details of what my intent was, and got confused.

there are business-card dvds. they have 350mb. i'm curious if there are business-card blurays :)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#11 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19520

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

there are business-card dvds. they have 350mb. i'm curious if there are business-card blurays Posted Image

Thanks for the heads up - I'll make a note of that.
I suppose I don't even need bizcard versions, even just the mini-DVDs. Mini-CDs would even work (and still have the "cool" factor), and they can hold 210MB.

#12 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1523

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

there are business-card dvds. they have 350mb. i'm curious if there are business-card blurays Posted Image

Thanks for the heads up - I'll make a note of that.
I suppose I don't even need bizcard versions, even just the mini-DVDs. Mini-CDs would even work (and still have the "cool" factor), and they can hold 210MB.

Thumb drives are very small now-a-days, and can fit 32 Gig on them. Nice thing is, they now cost around $6 each ( that is what I bought mine for )

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS