• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

8bit video game composition. Feedback please!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 mettsmusic   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey! I just finished a composition using 8bit sounds here and there. I would like to hear some feedback. So, please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks! :-)

http://soundcloud.co...c/dusty-deserts

Sponsor:

#2 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4369

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Specifically:
What about this piece is 8-bit? 8-bit samples as apposed to samples stored as 16-bit integers or as floating-point? Or 8-bit, as in, "I use a square wave LOL, NES RETO 8BIT MUSIC". (Sorry, this sort of misnomer really pisses me off -- Authority: I have studied many chiptunes written for all sorts of hardware ranging from the Commodore 64, to the Genesis, to the Super Nintendo, to the early PCs and even microcontrollers.)

In general:
Repetitive. Uninteresting. It's a mix of the same patterns spread out over a numbing length of time. Sounds like something I would have made when I had first started using FL Studio. Those were dark times...

Edited by fastcall22, 12 October 2012 - 06:56 PM.

c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#3 mettsmusic   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'm gonna have to get past some dark times myself. Lol. I just started using logic, and I was experimenting with the square waves. I guess what came out was a mess. I'm gonna have to do more research and try again. Can you tell me what you think of this as well?

http://soundcloud.com/mettsmusic/piano-solo-in-g-minor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS